When to Start Wearing Compression Garment?

I had a Tummy Tuck / Breast Augmentation / Liposuction and Muscle Repair 13 days ago and still have the drains, but my Dr. do not want me to use the garment until the drains are remove, and I feel that the garment will help me with the swelling.

Is it normal for Dr to wait until the drains are removed to use the garment after the TT and Lipo? Also, about the drains, I am doing around 25cc every 24 hrs, is it a good time to remove the drains, or wait until I have less fluid?

Plastic surgeons do things differently

+1

Although I tend to put my patients in compressive garments after my tummy tuck operations, you will find that opinions diverge on the topic. You are best to follow your plastic surgeon's advice. That is part of that for which you paid him. You will find that the way different plastic surgeons manage things differs as matter of opinion.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

High lateral Tension abodomenoplasties

+1

Dr. Lockwood, the creator of the High Lateral tension Abdomenoplasty did not use garments and for good reasons. I tend to agree and so does your doctor. The garment takes blood flow away from the incision line and thereby puts more stress on the healing wound.

As for the drains, 25cc per 24 hours seems like a little - I would take the drains out by now. But talk to your doctor and Beg - perhaps that will work.

Robert M. Freund, MD