How Long After Tummy Tuck and Liposuction Can I Run?

I had Tummy tuck and Liposuction. I am two weeks post-op, abdominoplasty and liposuction around my hips. My current weight is 129. I am a 35 year old wowan.

Working out after a tummy tuck

+2

I usually allow patients to go back to light exercise by 3-4 weeks. I tell them to hold off on sit-ups or heavy lifitng for 6-8 weeks. This is under ideal circumstances.

Return to exercise after tummy tuck

+2

I usually recommend waiting at least one month, and then slowly resuming exercise.  It may take 2-3 months before you are back to your pre-operative routine. Of course, you should listen to your body as well -- if anything feels unusual or painful, do not continue without consulting with your doctor.

Nirav Savalia, MD

Light workout okay at 6-8 weeks

+2

I tell my patients to start light workout at 6 weeks. Running will come later and varies depending on the recovery , the healing of the incision and the general health status.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Running out after an abdominoplasty

+1

Your plastic surgeon is the best source for answering your questions.  For my patients I allow light activity at one week, building up to some light physical activity, walking on treadmill, elliptical between the third and fourth weeks.  I advise patients to avoid vigorous activities such as training for a road race for eight weeks.

Running after a tummy tuck.

+1

In most instances, my general rule is that you are allowed miles per hour on a treadmill that is equal to the number of weeks after surgery. For example at 1 week, 1 mile/hr; at 2 weeks, 2 miles/hr; at 3 weeks, 3miles/hr, etc. This is a rough guideline and of course, you should consult with your surgeon first.  

Running after a tummy tuck with liposuction

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. Patients undergoing this procedure should understand that there is a significant recovery process afterwards. In our practice, we encourage patients to begin walking in yearly after the surgery. This aerobic exercise will help open up their lungs, prevent some fevers, increase their appetite, and help them return and feel back to normal. However, rigorous exercise such as running, going to the gym, or working with weights should be delayed 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

+1

It is commendable that you wish to return to exercise as soon as possible after surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Having said that, I ask my tummy tuck patients to start walking ASAP after surgery but refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent complications and ensure proper healing. It may be 4-6 months before you reach your full energy and strength levels. Best to “go slow” and listen to your body as you gradually increase or activity level. Best wishes.