Can Someone with Pacemaker Undergo Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

I want to get a Tummy Tuck and Liposuction but I have a pacemaker. Can I still have these procedures done? Does there need to be extra precautions because of the pacemaker?

Liposuction and tummy tuck possible if you're healthy

+2

Despite having a pacemaker in place, it is possible to undergo liposuction and tummy tuck procedures if you are healthy, and all of your treating physicians agree. Your safety always comes first! Communication between ALL your specialists and physicians is essential, including your anesthesiologist and plastic surgeon. A proper work up with lab work will need to be performed. The possibility of staging the procedure may be considered. I hope you find this helpful.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and pacemaker

+1

A pacemaker is not an absolute contraindication for a tummy tuck. But, you would definitely need medical clearance and definite coordination of care with your cardiologist and plastic surgeon.

Performing a tummy tuck in a patient with a pacemaker

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. Like all aesthetic surgery, the priority must always be your health and well-being. If you have a pacemaker, it is essential to receive a medical clearance and a cardiologist clearance before any surgery. It is also important to inform your plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist of this device. It may be safer to perform your surgery in a hospital setting where the anesthesiologist will have access to instruments that can help control your pacemaker or reprogram it if necessary.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Tummy Tucks and Pacemakers

+1

You can have a tummy tuck if you have a pacemaker. Of course, your cardiologist must give the OK first and clear you to have the surgery. Some cardiologist want the pacemakers turned off and others want to leave them on. In some individuals, the pacemakers are placed in the upper abdomen, which can also be a show stopper. If you have any medical or heart condition, it is always important to discuss and weigh the risks and benefits of this type of surgery with your surgeon and cardiologist before proceeding.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pacemaker not a contraindication for cosmetic surgery

+1

Your overall health is the single most important factor.

Clearly any restrictions or limitations as well as overall cardiac health will need to be evaluated by your cardiologist who should be informed and perform any necessary tests prior to your surgery.

The anesthesiologist will likely review your medical history prior to the procedure and make any adjustments in medications or delivery of the anesthetic.

It is actually better that your cardiac health has been treated and understood prior to surgery rather than discovering this during the surgical procedure.

In the few instances in which I have performed surgery, the cardiologist has not advised turning off the pacemaker, but I am sure this depends on the underlying medical condition.

Certain medications used during surgery can speed up and excite the heart while others can slow it down. Depending on the indications for your pacemaker, your cardiologist may advise avoidance of some of these agents.

I have done this a number of times.

+1

Hi! It all depends on why you have a pacemaker. If it is a back-up that can be turned off for several hours,then you can have the surgery safely.

You need to be in a hospital with an electrophysiologist who can turn the pacemaker off and then on again after surgery in the recovery room.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Possible for someone with pacemaker to undergo surgery

+1

In general, patients with pacemakers can undergo surgery, including liposuction and tummy tuck, as long as they have a cardiologist clearance. Have this issue addressed with their anesthesiologist, prior to surgery. Best wishes.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Yes, with the correct precautions

+1

People with pacemakers are operated on every day. A cardiology consult prior to surgery is essential. The main risk is when the electrocautery is used, as this can affect the pacemeaker. A large magnet is usually placed over the pacemeaker during surgery to protect it (depending on the type of pacemaker). Discuss the options with your cardiologist, Plastic Surgeon, and anesthesiologist.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

It is possible and reasonable

+1

Pacemaker are put in for a variety of reasons. The final answer to your question will be determined by your cardiologist and the reason the pacemaker was put in. Many people can go through surgery with the pacemaker turned off and other are very dependant on the pacemaker to keep the heart beating. If you have a pacemaker because you heart is always dependant on it then the risk may be very high to do elective surgery.
Discuss it with your surgeon and cardiologist and you will find an answer you are comfortable with.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Challenging but possible

+1

There are 500,000 patients with pacemakers in the US, and it is not uncommon for them to have elective or non elective surgery.The following points have to be followed:

1. Patients with implanted pacemakers can be managed safely for surgery and other non-surgical procedures. It requires thorough understanding about indication of pacemaker insertion, various modes of pacing, and programming of pacemaker.

2. A cardiologist should also be consulted for device evaluation regarding its proper function and life of the batteries.

3. Anaesthetic management should be planned preoperatively according to patient’s medical status.

4. Careful monitoring of ECG, pulse oximetry and arterial blood pressure should be done.

5. Provision of temporary pacing should be available.

6. Pacemaker should be rechecked after the procedure.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS