Tummy Tuck Only Option for Loose Skin After Lipo and C-section?

I had Liposuction about 10yrs ago on my stomach, thighs, and butt area. Two years ago, I had a baby via C-Section. Now, i'm trying to get down to a healthy weight range. I am 5'3" and weigh 158 lbs. At what weight should I consider treatment to firm up the lose skin on my stomach and thighs? Would 135 be a healthy weight range? Is Tummy Tuck my only option? Please help. Thanks.

Tummy tuck for loose skin.

+1

Hi!

It sounds like you need a tummy tuck. I don't think anything else will help.

You don't have to lose weight before having a tummy tuck. The muscles can be repaired and the excess skin and fat can be removed even if you are somewhat overweight. You will still be overweight afterwards, but you will have a flat stomach.

In Manhattan, I find that demanding that a patient lose weight before benefitting by a tummy tuck can be unrealistic.

Solution for Loose Abdominal Skin

+1

Abdominoplasty is definitely the best treatment for excess belly skin. Your muscle can be tightened at the same time. Noninvasive attempts to tighten skin do not work well in my opinion and are associated with potential problems. You probably will improve your result with a 20 pound weight loss.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy Tuck is the solution for loose skin

+1

Dear Texas Mom,

After children and liposuction, the best way to address loose skin on the abdomen will be a tummy tuck. You already have 1/2 the necessary scar, and the results can be drastic. Do not be mislead by other non-invasive tightening procedures - they might give a minimal change, but I'd be surprised if it would make you happy. (I view them as marketing gimmicks.) If you could achieve a weight of 135, you will get a better result from the tummy tuck, but even at 158, you are a candidate (assuming your weight is stable). Please review my 2 web-pages on tummy tucks. One has a video that shows the changes achieved by morphing before and after pictures (no blood - don't worry), and the other answers your specific questions in detail.

Best wishes!

Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Options for loose skin after liposuction and pregnancy

+1

As you said, it would be best for you to be at an optimal weight before having any surgery and 135 lbs is a good goal for you at 5'3". Typically loose skin is best treated by tummy-tuck; however, it depends on how much loose skin you have. Some patients can have an umbilical float tummy tuck, which has no scar around the umbilicus, if the loose skin is confined to below the belly button. If you have very minimal loose skin, some of the skin tightening treatments such as Thermage can work. This is rarely the situation after pregancy but sometimes works in very slender patients.

Hope this helps.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD