Am I a Good Candidate For A Tummy Tuck or Liposuction? I've Never Been Pregnant, Lots Weight Recently.

Hi, I have lost 30 lbs recently, now I weight 107 lbs, and 5'1". I never been pregnant in my life, and since I was overweight for almost 20 years in my life, I still have some fat in my upper + lower abdominal areas, flanks, and upper back. Will liposuction help or tummy tuck help to scupture my body in this case? 

Getting the most out of liposuction

+1

The most important factor in your case is the skin tone in your tummy area. Since you didn't have any children, there is a good chance that you could achieve quite impressive results with liposuction alone. Since most likely you do have some loose skin due to weight loss, it would be important to use very specific techniques and instrumentation to allow your skin to retract properly.  An experienced and skilled surgeon should be able to carefully assess your skin and your fat deposits and give you a very good idea of expected outcome with liposuction alone.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring after weight loss, Smart Lipo,Tickle lipo,Tumescent lipo, tummy tuck

+1

If you have not been pregancy, you probably do not have a lot of excess skin and to remove some unwanted fat, liposuction may be your answer. This is much easier procedure with very small cut usually in the belly button. If you do have excess skin, but only a little, a mini-tummy tuck could help. You really would need to be seen to determine this. I do offer Skype consultations. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck vs Liposuction

+1

A tummy tuck, also known as an abdominoplasty, removes unwanted skin and fat and repairs the  separation of the muscles on the stomach. It typically requires an incision in the bikini line long enough to remove the fold of skin. The belly button is not moved but the skin around is pulled down and removed. Liposuction is generally the removal of fat only and  we see some degree of skin contraction afterward.You would need to be examined by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine which procedure is right for you.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is an excellent technique for removing localized collections of excess body fat,

+1

but a good result is dependent on the ability of the remaining skin to tighten after the fat has been removed.  If you already have loose skin from your weight loss, than realistically, removing additional fatty tissue without addressing the excess skin might actually make the situation worse.  In addition, liposuction will not address any stretch marks or scarring that are already present, whereas a tummy tuck can improve each of these situations.  Finally, if you have a rectus diastasis or loose abdominal musculature, liposuction will not help while a tummy tuck can allow the surgeon to repair and tighten the muscles.  You would need to have a consultation with an experienced surgeon to determine which approach would be best in your particular situation.  

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or Liposuction

+1

Great job in losing the weight but now it is time to go see a BC plastic surgeon with some experience and whose judgment you trust.  Go have a visit and see what will work best for you.  Without pictures, it is difficult to answer this question.  Liposuction offers fewer scars, less recovery, less costly, but will not fix the skin issues if there is significant excess.  Abdominoplasty will remove the excess tissue more effectively but with more scars, recovery, pain, expense, time-off work, but may be better suited to your needs.  Good Luck!

Steven Holzman, MD

Am I a Good Candidate For A Tummy Tuck or Lipo? I've Nvr Been Pregnant. Answer:

+1

Congrats! Hardest thing in the world. You will need an exam, to pull on your skin and see what your goals are. If it is to fit and feel better in clothes and not a bikini or belly shirt, then aggressive lipo, knowing that you will probably have some waviness (tummys are prone to this with Lipo). If you want to show your tummy, have some loose skin and are close to 40 yrs old, then TT with or without Lipo. These are the questions you need to answer and a Board Cert PS will help you through this!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

+1
The most important determinant of whether you are candidate for liposuction or tummy tuck all depends on the elasticity of your skin. If you have loose or hanging skin with stretch marks, then a tummy tuck would be best. If, on the other hand, your skin is relatively tight with good tone, then liposuction would suffice. If you are not sure, your Plastic Surgeon, can easily determine which route is best for you.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck v. Liposuction

+1
Dear Mylene, It may be that you can choose to have either liposuction or a tummy tuck to get improvement in your abdominal contour. An abdominoplasty will give tighter skin and a slim waistline but is more recovery. Liposuction avoids the lower abdominal scar. Find a wise plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to individualize the choice for yourself.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

+1
Hello, Congratulations on your recent weight loss. Liposuction can reduce fat excess but it will not correct excess laxity, stretch marks, abdominal wall laxity. If you have good skin quality and tone liposuction can be a very good option. More accurate recommendations would be possible if you posted some photos of your abdominal area. All the best, Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Liposuction or tummy-tuck,which procedure shoud I have?

+1

In determining whether to have a tummy-tuck or liposuction the most important criterion is whether or not there is excess skin. If the ealsticity of the abdominal skin is compromised one needs to remove the extra skin which is part of a tummy-tuck. Although you have never been pregnant you have lost 30 pounds which usually, but always reduces the skin elasticity of the abdomen. You need to be examined by a plastic surgeon to be certain as to what is most appropriate for you. Good luck@!

George Lefkovits, MD