Male Tummy Tuck Surgery on Stomach

It has been almost 2 years since my only Liposuction procedure. I still have large flanks and and a "funny" stomach. Should I go for a Full/Mini Tummy Tuck or should I simply try Liposuction again, avoiding the enormous scar? I'm afraid I don’t have enough skin for a Full Tummy Tuck. Thank you!

Liposuction (again) will help, but you really need an extended tummy tuck!

+2

Some surgeons will opt to follow your lead and give you whatever improvements that can be achieved via liposuction. This will cost less, have much less scarring, but of course, will have less improvement. Since degree of inprovement is so subjective, whomever is advocating one thing over another will naturally emphasize the pros of their recommendation (while hopefully not entirely omitting the cons), and do the reverse for the "other option," in this case, extended tummy tuck or extended abdominoplasty.

I advocate the latter partly because you have already had the best that liposuction can deliver (assuming an experienced, proficient, board-certified plastic surgeon). Even if you have gained additional weight, there is still subcutaneous scar tissue from your prior surgery that can limit or reduce subsequent liposuction effectiveness. Also, as a general principle, emptying skin does NOT make skin tighter (despite ultrasonic or smart lipo claims that energy directed to the dermis actually"tightens" skin), it just empties it. If you have half a bag of marbles with wrinkles in the bag, how many marbles do you remove to tighten up or smooth out the bag's wrinkles? (HINT: This isn't a trick question!)

An extended abdominoplasty with proper scar placement can remove ALL of the fat within the excised area, as well as tightening the skin (including above the belly button) to a major degree. If your abdominal wall is flaccid, muscle plication (usually done in women who have had children, but also applicable in some men) can restore the six-pack muscles to the midline and flatten your abdomen. You have to take it easy for a couple of weeks, and do no sit-ups for about 6 weeks, but the results are truly worth it!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Repeat Liposuction Can be a Challenge

+2

A secondary liposuction procedure can be technically more difficult because of scarring from the first procedure, particularly if you developed fluid accumulations (seroma) after the first operation.

Seroma can cause scar build-up leading to lumps and bumps, similar to what I see in your photo.  Of course, I can't tell that for certain, even with an examination.

Weight loss is your first best option.

Repeat liposuction may or may not produce much change.

A tummy tuck is a reasonable consideration to redrape and smooth your irregularities.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Uneven results after liposuction

+2

The only effective way to achieve a very nice abdomen in your case would in my opinion be a full tummy tuck (without tightening the fascia). There is loose skin above and below the belly button and multiple liposuction irregularities that will only respond to tightening of the skin with removal of excess skin.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tummy Tuck More Suitable

+1
Liposuction alone will probably not adequately address your concerns because the issue here is most likely skin rather than fat. It appears you'll need to remove excess skin to firm up your stomach, and liposuction will not do that for you. You'll most likely be better off with a tummy tuck. For a better assessment, please see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Tummy tuck vs. lipo

+1
You definitely will get the best results with a full tummy tuck and liposuction of the flanks.  I don't believe you will need a diastasis repair, however, so your recovery will be even shorter.  Also, diet and exercise will help you look even better.

David Stoker, MD

Loose skin after liposution

+1
As you are 2 years from your liposuction procedure any swelling and skin tightening would have happened by now.  Your picture looks as though you have loose skin on the lower abdomen but also above the umbilicus.  If your goal is just to reduce the volume more then liposuction can accomplish that but if it is to have a flat smooth abdomen then there is no substitute for a full abdominoplasty.

Michelle J. Place, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction won’t help sagging skin.

+1
Liposuction is terrific for body contouring when you have some isolated pockets of fat that won’t respond to diet or exercise. What lipo won’t do, however, is resolve any problems with visible skin laxity. A tummy tuck can address both problems at the same time, because it removes excess skin along with eliminating excess fatty tissue. As for whether you have enough skin to perform the surgery, I recommend scheduling a few consultations with board certified plastic surgeons who can give you their opinions about the best approach. From there, you’ll have the information you need to make a final decision.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of abdominal fat

+1
In your case, liposuction would produce more sagging of the midline skin and I believe that you would benefit more from an abdominoplasty. There are gradations for tummy tuck, just as plastic surgeons perform breast reductions on DDs as well as J cups!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposuction vs Tummy Tuck

+1

Liposuction addresses excess fat only, while a tummy tuck addresses fat, skin and muscle.  Based on your picture, your problem still appears to be excess fat.  I would try liposuction again and try to avoid the tummy tuck scar which is long and permanent.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

I think you will benefit from a full tummy tuck procedure. In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.