Tummy Tuck or Liposuction or Both?

I am 5'8" weigh 175 and 30 years old. I have 2 children - I love them but I'm not having more. I gained 60 pounds at age 20 with my son and lost it all quickly BUT with my daughter I have tried for 3 years to drop the 35 pounds I gained. I only intake 1200 calories a day, excersise three days a week, and have had no results. I have "love handles" and a large yucky marsupial pouch for a stomach. I have maintained my weight not lost weight; which surgical option is best or combination?

Tummy Tuck and or Liposuction for pouch on Tummy after pregnancy

+3

Congratulations on your hard work! A Tummy Tuck is often needed in spite of diet and exercise, especially after multiple pregnancies.

Liposuction will remove fat from the Abdomen or Tummy but if there is significant loose skin you will likely need a Tummy Tuck. Newer Laser Assisted Liposuction can help tighten skin, but not significant laxity that causes the lower Abdominal Skin to hang over the clothing.

Actually it is very common to include Liposuction in many Tummy Tuck procedures. Typically the area of the flanks and "Muffin Top' area which are not corrected with the Tummy Tuck are treated with Liposuction.

In addition, when a Mini Tummy Tuck is done, often upper Abdominal Fat above the Umbilicus (Belly Button" is treated conservatively with Liposuction.

Tummy tuck or liposuction

+2

Thank you for your question. The likely answer is tummy tuck because liposuction does not get rid of the extra skin or tighten the muscles but it is impossible to give precise information because you have not included any photos to review.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Vs Liposuction.

+2

Very hard to give information on this without photographs, but from your discription of the skin I doubt you will get the results you want without the TT.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction or Both?

+2

I LOVE your description of the "Marsupial Pouch". I KNOW you would greatly benefit from a Full Tummy Tuck. Liposuction would be of benefit if you also have resistant fat deposits of the hips and low back. a Tummy Tuck will flatten the abdomen (by tightening the muscles and removing ALL excess tummy skin), remove all lower tummy stretch marks, recreate a narrow waist / Hourglass figure, lift a sagging Mons pubis and, if a High Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty is done, smooth the cellulite dimpling along the front upper thigh.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

TT plus some lipo

+2

With a BMI of 27-28 it sounds as if a tummy tuck and some lipo of the love handles will take care of your problem.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy Tuck versus Lipsuction

+2

Based on your description, I believe that most surgeons would recommend some sort of tummy tuck.  Liposuction as an additional component would help with the fatty areas on your hips, but will do nothing for the excess skin on the stomach area.  I would recommend that you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Donald Griffin, MD

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+2

Tummy Tucks and Liposuction are both very powerful tools to help contour a woman's body.  The Marsupial pouch you describe is EXTREMELY common and is a result of your abdominal tissue stretching without contraction of the skin after the child is born.  Liposuction can work well to remove excess fat in an area, but large amounts of excess skin will often need to be excised.  With that said, you could very possibly need a combination of the two procedures.  Your shape can be very nicely enhanced if the tummy tuck removes the excess skin in your lower abdomen (as well as tightening up the upper abdominal skin)  while the liposuction removes the excess fat in your flanks.  I would continue the healthy lifestyle your are living because this will only improve your post-operative result.  Keep in mind, much of what you have described is very typical of women seeking body contouring after childbirth.  I have given you general information regarding these common procedures, but you would need to be evaluated by a Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for a complete evaluation.  I hope this has helped, but feel free to contact us if you have additional questions.  Good luck.

Marcus Crawford, MD

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction?

+2

Based on your colorful description,  it is very likely that you will do to best with a tummy tuck procedure. Liposuction can be used as a tool (during the tummy tuck procedure) to improve contour of certain areas as well. The tummy tuck procedure will serve to remove the excess skin and adipose tissue as well as tighten up the abdominal wall muscle layer.

Also, patients who are undergoing a standard tummy tuck procedure  should be aware however that often an “extended” tummy tuck is necessary to treat the "love handle" area. This extended tummy tuck procedure involves flank and back skin and adipose tissue excision as well as liposuction surgery. If liposuction alone is done the patient may still end up with the muffin top and require further surgery to improve the waistline in the future.

I would suggest that you reach a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with the operation.

Of course, in person examination will be necessary to give you precise advice.

Tummy Tuck or Lipo?

+2

From your description it sounds like you will need a tummy tuck. That will get rid of your pouch. Lipo is frequently added to the waist or low back area in order to help get you those nice curves. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Tummy tuck?

+2

You would need a tummy tuck because of the marsupial pouch as liposuction can do nothing for that.  But you really need to see a plastic surgeon for in person evaluation.  Also, even though you have plateaued with the weight, don't give up because you are probably not an ideal candidate at this point and weight.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS