Do You Need a Tummy Tuck with Lipo?

i have type 2 diebetes and i'm considering lipo on my mid are and thigh area and i wanted to know if i needed a tummy tuck as well i was 287 and now i'm 231 and have a medium size tummy with alil hang on it not lot. but my thigh area and stomach is my main focus right now.

Tummy tuck with lipo?

+2

Thank you very much for your question.  As has been mentioned by several plastic surgeons this really is not the time to be thinking about surgery.  Your focus should be on nutrition and exercise to get your weight lower.  When you have done this  then seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to help you decide whether  liposuction or a tummy tuck would be best for you. 

Hold off on surgery and focus on further weight loss.

+1

At this point, further weight loss is recommended prior to any surgical intervention. This will lead to more predicatable and satisfying resutls from surgery. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon may help you in achieving a weight loss goal and give you encouragement as to what you can expect once you get to that weight. Body contouring surgery is far more succesful in folks who have achieved they ideal weight and then have corrective surgery.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Do You Need a Tummy Tuck with Lipo?

+1

Your weight is still up and should come down first before any elective procedure and that will depend on your height and BMI...Congratulations on the weight loss but you still have a bit to go! Then it is just a matter of what your ultimate goals are for TT vs Lipo.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

Prettylady, it would be nice to have a photograph in order to help answer your questions. However, congrats on losing some weight. Based on your question, it seems like you may benefit from both tummy tuck and liposuction after additional weight loss. The best thing is to schedule a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon during this process to make sure that you are healthy and that your diabetes is well controlled.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Surgery

+1

Unless you are 6'5"  your BMI is very high, what you need is a weight loss program, not surgery. We are not here to get rid of excess weight, you need to do that first. Look up BMI on the internet and put in your height and weight and then see what you need to be to get it below 30. That should be your goal before thinking about surgery.

Diet first.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Lipo with tummy tuck

+1

Difficult to recommend without photos. Your weight is still elevated and you would have a better result with any procedure if you could get closer to your ideal body weight.  That would also allow the Plastic Surgeon treating you to better design a surgical plan.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Do You Need a Tummy Tuck with Lipo?

+1

I guess it would be OK BUT you did not post even one photo so very hard to advise. See a few boarded PSs in your area. 

Do you need a tummy tuck

+1

Your goals are the key as to whether you need a tummy tuck. Certainly with significant weight loss and a hanging fold, liposuction will reduce your subcutaneous fat, but not solve the skin excess. If some fat contouring is your only goal, or a full tummy tuck is not possible because of your health, then liposuction is for you. If the skin fold is your concern, only tummy tuck will do.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

+1

I see many women who are confused about their options and don't know if they will need a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) or liposuction.  Obviously, most want to avoid the scar associated with a tummy tuck, but the final outcome is dependent on far more than the scar.  In general, excess skin and fat together are best addressed with a tummy tuck, while excess fat only is best treated with liposuction.

Without an examination it is not possible to give you a definitive answer, but based on your prior and current weight, I would recommend that you lose further weight before undergoing any type of contouring surgery.  Liposuction is often not of significant benefit in situations in which there is still considerable fatty tissue.  Ideally, liposuction is of most benefit to patients who are at or close to their goal weight.  This type of patient often has localized areas of fat that are amenable to liposuction.  Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon after you have lost some more weight to fully discuss your options.  Best wishes.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck versus Lipo

+1

Without pictures or seeing you in person, it is difficult to give you specific advice.  If you have loose skin, then liposuction alone will probably not give you the best result.  However, with your diabetes, you need to make sure that you are medially fit and have the diabetes under tight control to maximize your results from any surgery and minimize any post op wound healing issues.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD