Am I a Candidate for Tummy Tuck and Lipo?

I have recently posted about a Tummy Tuck for competitive athletes and was informed it was ideal to post a photo along in the thread. So here is my question: Am I an ideal candidate for a Tummy Tuck and Lipo? I am 5'8, 200lbs, waist size is 36. Should I drop down to 180 before entertaining this? Please keep in my mind I was originally almost 290lbs. I just want to have the ideal body and will do whatever I can to achieve it. I currently work out 6 days a week and eat very healthy. Please advise.

Tummy tuck or lipo?

+1

Yes you may be a candidate for tummy tuck. Though you may want to try lipo first.The tummy tuck is certainly possible with the following caveat: A physical exam must be done to rule out a hernia or weakness in the abdominal wall. Your skin laxity and quality is evaluated. Your health status has to be evaluated. This can go very smooth if all the bases are covered from a medical standpoint. Safety is number one.

For ideal results after 100 pounds of weight loss, tummy tuck and lipo recommended.

+1

Congrats on the weight loss.  Photo pretty limited, but you clearly have some extra loose skin.  Normally I would say have the lipo and not a tummy tuck because you may get a little skin contraction with lipo alone.  However, you want an ideal result, so you probably won't be satisfied with just a little improvement in skin tone.  So I would probably recommend a tummy tuck and lipo of your midsection, including love handles and breasts if you like.  This combination is very likely to meet your goals. Check out this section of my website featuring other men who had major weight loss and elected to have a tummy tuck.  You don't have to lose any more weight to have the surgery.  If you lose another 20 pounds after surgery that is not enough to get into trouble with loose skin.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Losing weight prior to tummy tuck in a male

+1

Technically speaking your ideal body weight is roughly 154 lbs. I know that sounds unattainable but that is according to standards. Having said that, it would be best for you to get to 180 if that is your goal and then having a full skin only tummy tuck. If you have the tummy tuck now and then lose the 20 pounds, I believe you would be disappointed with additional laxity.

Tummy tuck in male athlete

+1

Drop to 180 before making the decision.  Healthy weight loss involves no risk, no surgery and no scars.  Have your surgeon take a look and a feel when you have been 180 for a month or two.  Lipo won't tighten your skin but it also won't leave a hip to hip scar like a tummy tuck would.  If your skin is pretty lax, a tummy tuck would be the most effective procedure.  Remember, nothing will get you to ideal.  Your "personal best"?  Yes.  Ideal?  No.

And, hey, great job on getting into shape!  Keep up the good work.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Tummy tuck vs Liposuction

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! Men are more likely than women to get potbellies, even when they exercise. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position. Nine times out of ten I use liposuction, not a lift or tuck, to resculpt a man's body.

One reason is that men's skin tends to contract especially well after lipo. The most popular areas for male liposuction are the abdomen and chest. To reduce love handles or a "beer gut", a tiny incision is made in the navel and the fat is suctioned out with a cannula, a small probing tube attached to a vacuum. Liposuction is a quick, relatively painless way of resculpting the body. While you'll need to continue to watch your weight, one thing is for sure: The fat will never gather in the same spot again.

If you have any hanging skin, you might be a candidate for a non-invasive procedure called Thermage (no incision!) that can tighten skin and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. The procedure uses radiofrequency technology called ThermaCool® that has been clinically proven to tighten and gently lift skin. Fast and easy, Thermage requires no downtime from normal activities. And unlike laser treatments, Thermage can be performed on patients of all skin types. Thermage can be used not only for sagging facial, neck, and eyelid skin; but also all over the body, including the abdomen. Tighten and lift without surgery, injections, or downtime.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Tummy Tuck and Lipo

+1

Thanks for the posted photo it helps a little. Very hard to answer but my choice is liposuction. If after the lipo if not satisfied than a more extensive operation of a tummy tuck can be done. 

Liposuction VS Tummy Tuck for an Athletic Man after Weight Loss

+1

Regarding: "Am I a Candidate for Tummy Tuck and Lipo?
I have recently posted about a Tummy Tuck for competitive athletes and was informed it was ideal to post a photo along in the thread. So here is my question: Am I an ideal candidate for a Tummy Tuck and Lipo? I am 5'8, 200lbs, waist size is 36. Should I drop down to 180 before entertaining this? Please keep in my mind I was originally almost 290lbs. I just want to have the ideal body and will do whatever I can to achieve it. I currently work out 6 days a week and eat very healthy. Please advise
"

Although there is NO substitute for a physical examination and the amount of information from this down gazing view is limited, it seems to me that you still have localized fat deposits which may be vastly improved with Differential or Hi Def Liposuction. I would recommend you have that done first. There will be some skin shrinkage after that and the liposuction done this way would decrease the extent of your Gynecomastia (man boobs), eliminate love handles while defining the chest and abdominal muscles. After waiting 6-8 months after the liposuction, I would asses the situation with your Plastic surgeon and see if the extensive scars of an abdominoplasty and other body contouring procedures (such as Lower Body Lift etc) are worth it for you to get an even tighter skin.

You may want to consult this informative page on my website - click the link below.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Abdominoplasty for men after weight loss

+1

A complete examination by a plastic surgeon is the best way to get your questions answered. The photo you include shows a bit of skin laxity and fatty tissue above your belt line- but its impossible to comment if you need a tummy tuck without an exam.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Candidates for Abdominoplasty

+1

In general abdominoplasty addresses the loose skin you have from your weight loss.  On physcial examination your physican will determine if any muscle tightening or liposuction would be helpful. It is impossible to tell these things from your pictures.  I would suggest seeing your local plastic surgeon as you seem like a good candiate for abdominoplasty from the information presented. In general our standards are that your BMI be less than 35 and in good health and have reasonable goals that can be achieved by the procedure.  Best wishes.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Maybe

+1

You need to be seen , I would need to judge the amount of excess skin. Dosn't look like you need much liposuction. By the way, there is NO IDEAL body.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD