How Can I Know if 500cc Submuscular is too Big for Me? (photo)

Was wondering if 500CC silicone under muscle and high profile was to big for me i weigh 165 and is a 36B now and 5'7 in height just do not want a to big look was going to go with a 450 at first but have some what of a droop in breast .

Breast Augmentation - How Can I Know if 500cc Submuscular is too Big for Me?

+2

It is very difficult to predict exactly what someone will look like after a specific size breast implant, though my video (see below) addresses many of these issues.  500 cc may be a size you would like but you've raised another issue - the "droop" that you have.  This will not be addressed with implants alone, and you should speak with your surgeon about having a lift at the same time.  Of course, this increases the scars on the breasts, and you would typically need to go smaller than if you are having implants alone (there is otherwise too much tension on the skin).  And you may decide to go with implants alone, or with a more limited variant of a lift (such as a superior crescent lift).  And, finally, there is basically no discernible difference for you between a 450 and a 500 (in my opinion); that is only a fraction of the overall size and if you are not satisfied with one you will not be satisfied with the other.  My advice:  raise the issue of size with your PS but also talk about the "droop" and listen carefully to the choices you are presented with.  And, as always, do not hesitate to seek additional opinions if you think they would be helpful.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Choosing breast implant size

+2
Yhe best way to determine what you will look like after a breast augmentation is to have 3D imaging simulations done of the breasts. There is some very excellent software available now that recreates very realistic results, based on what implant size you choose. If your surgeon doesn't offer this service, then implant sizers will also give a good indication of your results.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Is 500cc too big

+2

I would suggest you look on line at photos of other women who start with your volume and have results you like. they normally include implant size. Personally, based on your photos, I would recommend a mastopexy(lift) with a slightly smaller implant than you are looking at.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

You need to have lift

+2
Your nipple position and your breast tissue position below the inframammary folds all make you candidate for breast lift. Big implants may give you temporary lift and fullnesss,but your breast will sag even more. Patients do not want scar and extra surgery for the lift,but wrong procedure will make the patient unhappy in long run.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

A large implant may not be enough

+2

It is impossible to make a specific recommendation for you based on your question and the photos provided however I often see ladies who need a lift getting larger implants (like the 500 you are asking about) in the hope of avoiding a lift.   The other doctors spoke about sizing ideas and I would just caution you to ask the surgeon to see photos of similarly shaped patients before and after augmentation alone.  If you are looking for perkiness, you may be disappointed.   You noted you did not want to be "big" and yet the 500cc implant is a large implant.  The problem is that the implant itself will often not lift the tissue and will likely give a larger version of the droopy breast that is currently the problem.  I would highly suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and getting some opinions on whether or not you would more benefit from a lift.  Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

500 cc too big or just right

+2

The best thing to do is to try on 500cc implants underneath a sizer bra to get an idea what you would look like underneath clothing.  Although this is not entirely accurate, it may give you an idea of what the volume will be overall.  Another general formula, which isn't entirely accurate, is that every 200cc of implant volume will increase your cup size by one letter.  In the end, measurements of your breast diameter, chest wall, degree of drooping, and the amount of breast tissue you have now will all affect your final breast size.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Is 500 cc too big?

+2

A simple way to make sure that the implant size is right for you is to try on an implant under a sports bra or tight shirt in the plastic surgeons office.  You may also want to try on some smaller ones as well and see which gives you the look you want.  You will also want to make sure that the diameter of the implant matches your breast width diameter.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Implants too big?

+2

It is very difficult to say if 500cc is too big for you without examining you and discussing your goals.  I ask patients to bring in "goal photos" so that when I am in the operating room, I can adjust the temporary sizer to see what size implant will achieve the patient's goals.

Just from your height and weight information you provided, 500cc silicone may be fine.

I think clear communication with your surgeon as to what you want to achieve is key to have a successful outcome.  It is difficult for the surgeon 'to know  what "too big" is for you...

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Is 500cc too big?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.  Pick the implants based on the size you want to be.  Do not go up on the implant size thinking that this will correct any breast droop that you have.  It may work in the short term but not in the long run.  Eventually, large heavy implants with settle into the breast and cause you more problems and maybe even more droop. 

Have you considered sticking with the 450cc and having a circumareolar breast lift? It's one possible option. 

Also, one breast is slightly larger than the other.  This could be corrected by using different implant sizes or by removing a small amount of tissue during a  lift.

Ultimately, listen to your qualified surgeon's advice.  Best of Luck!

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS