Tummy Tuck, Lipo or SmartLipo?

I am interested in smoothing and tightening my waistline, but I don't know if I need a tummy tuck or liposuction. Also, I've heard a lot about SmartLipo. Would that help me? Thanks!

Lipo doesn't tighten

+1

If you are looking into tightening, then you are likely looking at potential tummy tuck surgery as lipo really doesn't tighten much if at all. Smart Lipo tightens a little, but but is unpredictable in his regard.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Mini tucks under local anesthesia

+1

Liposuction is great for removing fat but doesn't address loose skin in most cases.  If there is a lot of loose skin in the tummy (such as after multiple pregnancies), then a tummy-tuck is more appropriate.

With laser lipo (SmartLipo, Lipotherme, SlimLipo -- many different brands) -- the idea is that the laser will help tighten the skin as well as remove the fat.  It's never as dramatic as a tummy-tuck, but is minimally invasive and can do a good job of tightening mild loose skin thus avoiding a major tummy-tuck.

Another option is a mini-tummy tuck where lipo is done throughout the entire abdomen, and then a small amount of loose skin is taken out into an existing C-Section or Hysterectomy scar.  It is not as long a scar and an easier recovery than a full tummy-tuck.  It may be appropriate for some patients with a mild or minor amount of loose skin.

In summary--lipo is great for fat removal but not for skin tightening.  Laser Lipo (all major brands) do a better job than traditional lipo for skin tightening, but are not as great as a tummy-tuck.  A mini-tummy tuck may be a good compromise.

Dr. Navin Singh

Web reference: http://www.WashingtonianPlasticSurgery.com

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon