Tummy Tuck, Lipo or SmartLipo?

I am interested in smoothing and tightening my waistline, but I don't know if I need a tummy tuck or liposuction. Also, I've heard a lot about SmartLipo. Would that help me? Thanks!

Lipo doesn't tighten

If you are looking into tightening, then you are likely looking at potential tummy tuck surgery as lipo really doesn't tighten much if at all. Smart Lipo tightens a little, but but is unpredictable in his regard.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Mini tucks under local anesthesia

Liposuction is great for removing fat but doesn't address loose skin in most cases.  If there is a lot of loose skin in the tummy (such as after multiple pregnancies), then a tummy-tuck is more appropriate.

With laser lipo (SmartLipo, Lipotherme, SlimLipo -- many different brands) -- the idea is that the laser will help tighten the skin as well as remove the fat.  It's never as dramatic as a tummy-tuck, but is minimally invasive and can do a good job of tightening mild loose skin thus avoiding a major tummy-tuck.

Another option is a mini-tummy tuck where lipo is done throughout the entire abdomen, and then a small amount of loose skin is taken out into an existing C-Section or Hysterectomy scar.  It is not as long a scar and an easier recovery than a full tummy-tuck.  It may be appropriate for some patients with a mild or minor amount of loose skin.

In summary--lipo is great for fat removal but not for skin tightening.  Laser Lipo (all major brands) do a better job than traditional lipo for skin tightening, but are not as great as a tummy-tuck.  A mini-tummy tuck may be a good compromise.

Dr. Navin Singh