Should I have a tummy tuck or lipo on my abdomen? (Photo)

I am 40, 5'9"and 168 lbs. I am going to have a lipo on my buttox, inner and outer thighs (for approximately 3 liters removed) and my doctor recommended I also do a tummy tuck, but I am wondering if a lipo on my abdomen would suffice. Also, I have quite a large, shapeless butt, that's kind of hanging. Should I ask the doc to be very aggressive and remove more than originally planned? Or is it going to make my butt look even more shapeless? Should I also consider a butt lift? Thanks!

Liposuction OR Tummy Tuck? Consider Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)

+2
I think you are in the somewhat fortunate position of being able to decide. Liposuction is a little less invasive, requires less scarring and will still likely provide a significant improvement. A tummy tuck is more invasive and requires more scar but has the potential for dramatic change.  With your already good shape, you would be expected to have a great result with a tummy tuck.
Regarding your buttocks, I would warn against liposuction. Your problem seems to be one of the distribution, not necessarily the quantity of tissue. The value of a brazilian butt lift is that the fat can be suctioned out right from the areas you don't want it (your lower butt and lower back above your butt) and injected to where you do want it.  Again, you look to be a great candidate for this.
These are two distinct problems, however, and require different aftercare. Combining the two can increase the risk of things being imperfect or having a medical problem related to your surgery, so you need to be aware of this going in.  
Best of Luck,
Dr. Pyle

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Proposed surgery

+2
Everyone has their own body image but I think you would be greatly improved by a tummy tuck and would honestly put this at the top of your "must do" list.  I think that once this is done, you will have a different conception of the rest of your issues.  

Robert L. Kraft, MD

TT vs Lipo

+2

it is difficult to give an answer without a true consultation, but based on your photos, I would lean towards a tummy tuck due to the scar that you have and the puffiness above it.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

BBL

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

I believe that Liposuction will be enough to remove the excess fat from the abdomen area.

I recommend: Liposuction in the abdomen, waist and lower back with fat grafting in to buttocks.

This will help your buttocks look lifted as well as a flatter more enhanced body shape.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with Tummy Tuck

+1

I  would agree with your current surgeon, lipo with a tummy tuck will give you the best result.

Tummy tuck does two things, it removes excess loose skin and it tightens the underlying abdominal wall muscles. The trade-off it is a scar in the lower abdomen usually hidden under the bathing suit or bikini line .

From the photograph I cannot tell you how loose the abdominal wall muscles are, but you clearly have a significant amount of loose abdominal skin.

A board certified plastic surgeon can evaluate the skin with a pinch test and give you a sense of abdominal muscle separation.

Your plastic surgeon can show you before and after pictures of the scars associated with this type of surgery.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When it comes to selection of plastic surgeon, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Should I have a tummy tuck or lipo on my abdomen?

+1

Or let me mix it up more--- an extended mini TT with lipo of mid/upper abdomen/waist.Best to seek a few in person opinions... 

+1

I would address your issues a little differently.  I would not recommend buttock liposuction as I think the skin laxity will be worsened.  I would recommend a redistribution and reshaping of the buttock with a Brazilian buttlift.  You appear to have good skin with the one scar.  As such liposuction may be very reasonable with an excellent liposuction surgeon.

Liposuction results are highly surgeon dependent. Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction and liposuction revision procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.