Had a Tummy Tuck W Lipo & Breast Reduction 2 Wks Ago,went Back to Work Today and Couldn't Fit into my Pants, is This Normal?

I'm very worried that I gained weight or the procedure wasn't done right. Should I be concerned or is this swelling?? I thought I'd be buying a size or 2 smaller not bigger???

Why Can't I Fit Into My Pants 2 Weeks After Lipo/TT/Breast Reduction?

+1

Fourteen days after major surgery, you are still swollen.  Assuming you had a muscle repair along with your TT, the muscles are swollen 2-3 times bigger than normal, and it is harder to suck your stomach in at this point.  Most of us, men and women, especially those who eventually get TT and lipo, kind of squeeze into our clothing regularly, and you are now swollen and since your muscles do not work normally, it is harder to squeeze into clothing that you used to squeeze into easily.

With liposuction and TT, I tell my patients at the end of one week, they will think the surgery was the worst thing they ever did.  At the end of two weeks, they will think that maybe I know what I was doing, and at the end of three weeks, they are going to think they made the right decision as to operation and surgeon.  So, from your comments, I think you are right where you belong.  Give yourself and your surgeon a couple of weeks.  All will get better.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Swelling at 2 weeks is expected

+1

Thanks for your question. I know it is frustrating to feel like you are bigger! This is all swelling following your procedure. Watch your salt intake and eat a reasonable diet. I encourage patients to wear a compression garment 24hrs/day for first two weeks to help diminish their swelling. During week 3-4 they go to either 12hr/day or a lighter compression. Slowly your swelling will go down. Hang in there. It will all be worth it.

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Multiple surgeries and recovery.

+1

First of all "Don't Worry." You have been back to your work in 2 weeks,then you are doing great.Without knowing exactly what you do as a job my advise is do not over do it.Swollen abdomen is not abnormal at 2  weeks following Tummy Tuck.I hope you are  still wearing compression garment.You are on the right track.Be patient. Again,do not over do.

Suman K. Das, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and fluid retention after surgery

+1

Thank you for the question.  Your tummy tuck and liposuction procedure removed some excess fat and skin from your waist.  It is common and normal to have swelling and fluid retention following surgery.  At 2 weeks this process may explain why your waist size is larger than before.  You will, of course, have to have your plastic surgeon evaluate you to make sure that seroma  is not also present to contribute to the increase in waist size.  I would keep your abdominal binder on tightly in the meantime which will help with both issues.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

+1

At 2 weeks following a tummy tuck, there is a significant amount of swelling.  Therefore,  I would not think it unusual to be larger than before surgery temporarily.  There are a lot of factors here including weight of specimen removed and your own individual response to healing.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Concerns after Mommy Makeover Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction and tummy tuck surgery;  I think you are doing very well if you have been able to go back to work 2 weeks after the procedure was performed!

Not being able to fit into your pants, is probably not  a sign that  the procedure was done incorrectly; as you mentioned, significant swelling is likely to be present at this point.  At this point, I would advise continued patience and close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  He/she will be in the best position to provide you with precise advice and/or reassurance.