Tummy Tuck, Lipo or Alternative?

I had lap-band surgery almost 2 yrs ago and have lost 84 pounds. I'm currently 5'8 and weigh 175. I intend on losing another 20 pounds before having surgery, but also plan on getting pregnant within the next 2-4 years. I'm thinking a tummy tuck would not be an option for me, until I finish having children. Will liposuction provide any improvement? Is there an alternative that I'm not aware of? I would like a bit of this huge stomach gone and I'm thinking further weight loss will not be enough.

After weight loss surgery (lap band), tummy tuck gives best result

+1

I recommend waiting to have a tummy tuck until after you have had your children. Since your skin is likely loose from the 80-plus pound weight loss, there is not much role for liposuction in your case. Furthermore, if you lose another 20 pounds, you will have an even better outcome with a tummy tuck.

Dr.Bruno

Web reference: http://www.williambrunomd.com

Skin excess not treated with liposuction

+1

Wow- way to go on the weight loss. Now you have loose skin, not that much extra fat. And when you lose the additional 20 # you will have even more loose skin.  Liposuction would only make this problem worse because it removes the fat under the skin, but your skin has lost some elasticity from the weight loss.  If you plan on having children soon, I would recommend postponing a tummy tuck until after this- then you can have all your loose skin removed.  Good Luck-- Dr. Anne Taylor

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck vs. Liposuction following weight loss

+1

After losing 84 lbs., you would definitely benefit more from a tummy tuck than liposuction of your abdomen.  The improvement is likely to be dramatic.

Plastic Surgery Tummy Options after 84 Pounds of Weight Loss

+1

mina l-  Congrats on your weight loss!  84 pounds is a lot of weight, and it's wonderful you were able to lose it and keep it off!

Regarding your question and photo, it looks like you have loose skin in your tummy region.  This would almost definitely require a tummy tuck or skin excision to correct.  It will probably not respond to liposuction, and may look evern more loose after just liposuction.  After having your kids, you will probably need some type of tummy tuck surgery. 

As always, please consider seeing a plastic surgeon, because only a formal consultation and physical exam will give you your best options.

Best Wishes!

Roy

Liposuction vs. tummy tuck

+1

After such a large weight loss, the skin is loose as evident int he region above your umbilicus.  I do not think liposuction will offer any significant improvement. Most likely a tummy tuck would be the best option.

Tummy Tuck Or Body Lift Only Alternatives After Massive Weight Loss

+1

There really are no alternatives to a tummy tuck or body lift to remove the excess skin after a massive weight loss and I think you will be very disappointed with any lesser treatment.  There is not sufficient elasticity in the skin, especially after massive weight loss, for any other modality to give a good result.

Tummy Tuck vs Lipo after weight loss

+1

Great job with your weight loss.  Liposuction isn't going to give you the results you are looking for.  You have excess skin from your major weight loss.  The only good solution is a tummy tuck to remove the excess skin. Your options are either to go ahead and have the tummy tuck soon or wait until you are done having children.  You may need to have it revised after your last pregnancy if you opt not to wait.  I would hate to see you waste money on some form of liposuction only to be disappointed with the results. 

Tummy tuck or lipo?

+1

Your problem after a major weight loss is loose skin.  When skin is loose, it bunches up over the "tethering" point of the belly button, and some people think they have excess fat when in fact it may be mostly loose skin.  In any event, liposuction alone will not give you a good resut, you need to tighten and remove the excess skin.  Although the best approach is to wait until after pregnancies, if you had a tummy tuck and later had children, you may need a second tummy tuck to retighten the skin depending on how much it stretches.

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/abdominoplasty-surgery.html

Body Contouring after massive weight loss.

+1

A Tummy Tuck is the ultimate solution to your problem.  Further weight loss -- your goal -- is great, but that will not solve the problem shown in your photos.  The problem is, in fact, due to the weight loss you have already undergone.  Wait until you reach your weight goal and stabilize there for 6 months or so and wait until you have finished having children before having a Tummy Tuck.  Lipo, even Smartlipo, or non-invasive procedures such as CoolSculpting will have a minimal effect on what is likely mostly loose skin excess following your weight loss.  Stick to your goal, have your children, then have your Tummy Tuck.

Alternatives after massive weight loss in the tummy

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss!  You have a roll of loose skin above your belly button and the only way to treat this is with removal in the form of a tummy tuck in my opinion.  If kids are coming soon, wait til you are done.  If not, do it now with the possibility of needing to redo it later after kids.  Liposuction, non-surgical treatments will not make a nice result because the fundamental problem is skin excess not fat.  A direct excision across the midabdomen will make a nasty scar that might be hard to remove later in a TT.