Tummy Tuck or Lipo? Advice Please! (photo)

Hello! I am a 22 y/o female looking into getting lipo or tummy tuck. I've lost 50 pounds and am now at 175 lbs and I'm 5'7" no children yet (maybe 5 years from now) I have a pouch of fat on lower abdomen that just won't go away. I had breast aug and that doc said my skin had good elasticity. I have attached photos. Would it be beneficial for me to just get a full tummy tuck or just lipo for now (I'd be willing to get another surgery after children if needed) thanks!

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

+1

In a young female who has lost a large amount of weight the skin will likely not respond well to liposuction.  You can certainly use this to debulk the abdomen and refine the hips and waist, but a tummy tuck will be needed later.   It is perfectly reasonable to wait to do the tummy tuck until after pregnancy.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Tummy tuck or liposuction

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  If your weight is steady (you are not planning to lose more weight), I would recommend liposuction of your abdomen and flanks right now based on your pictures.  You are young and I generally don't recommend a tummy tuck for women who may have children in the future.  Liposuction only addresses fat - it will not remove excess skin.  It is possible that you will be left with saggy skin after the procedure - it all depends on your skin's elasticity.  Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.advancedplasticsurgerysolutions.com

Tummy Tuck vs Liposuction

+1

Liposuction will get rid of the extra fat that you have in the tummy area, but it will not get rid of the extra skin.  Tummy tuck on the other hand will get rid of the extra fat, the extra skin, and tighten up your six pack abdominal muscles.  In your photos, extra skin seems to be as much of a problem as extra fat.  As a result, I think you will likely get a better result from a tummy tuck.  Good luck.

Tummy Tuck or Lipo? Advice Please!

+1

Medically the answer is liposuction. with you understanding the skin will not be smooth. A TT prior to child bearing is not the medical recommendation. BUT you can always have the TT with a full release that you FULLY understand the risks. 

At your age, your skin should tighten up with further weight loss

+1

I think you doing a good job of losing your weight. It's important to exercise and maintain your weight close to your target. It looks like you do have some skin laxity but at your age much of it will tighten up provided you don't have a lot of stretch marks. You're abdominal muscles should be in pretty good shape considering you've not had any children yet. If you're planning to have children in the next two years, I would not have a tummy tuck yet.

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

+1

Thank you for the question and photos!  Congratulations on your weight loss!  I would recommend your continued healthy lifestyle and activities, as this will help to maintain your results that a surgical procedure will afford you.  First, for any person considering body contouring procedures, I recommend getting down to your ideal weight prior to any consideration for surgery.

Liposuction is really meant for contouring and is ideal for patients with skin that will rebound after removal of the fatty tissue from below.  In your photos, it does appear that you have some skin laxity as well as some loose abdominal wall laxity, both of which liposuction will not address.  

Without examining you, I believe that a full tummy tuck to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of the lower abdomen and tighten your abdominal wall would be the better option for you given these factors and give better results that will meet your expectations.  Likely some liposuction may be needed for contouring of your hips, flanks and upper thighs to give you the best result.  I would recommend consultation with a plastic surgeon to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be the right one for you.  Best of luck!  Hope that this helps!

Web reference: http://www.albertandresmd.com

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Lipo vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

This is a common questions from patients.  The answer depends on your expectations.  However, given your age, skin elasticity and not having had children yet, I would probably recommend liposuction at this point in your life.  Good Luck! And congratulations on the weight loss! :))

Reading Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Lipo?

+1

This is a very common question.  The answer depends on if you have good skin elasticity and a firm abdominal wall.  By looking at the pictures, I believe you have stretch marks, which is an indiction your elasticity may be poor.  If that is the case, liposuction would leave you with loose skin and an undesirable result.  Tummy tuck would be the answer for you.  Best of luck.  

Tummy Tuck vs Liposuction

+1

Liposuction dos not get rid of extra skin and stretched muscles.  It is only for patients with tight skin, ideal weight with only a fatty bulge of abdomen.  If muscles are stretched, as they are after weight loss or pregnancy liposuction has disappointing outcome.  Similarly when there is excess skin the procedure of liposuction disappoints.  That should have answered your question.

Have a tummy tuck BUT still loose at least 25 lbs prior to having it done.  That will give you your best result.  You will need liposuction of flanks and hips at same time as tummy tuck for an ideal result.

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss Emily. You've gotten both answers to your question because you are not a typical presentation. If you were finished having kids you would look great with an abdominoplasty. Since you haven't, I would suggest liposuction +/- a skin only abdominoplasty.  That way you get rid of both the excess fat and skin and the baby is not at extreme risk because the muscle tightening is omitted from the tummy tuck. It's not very tender and we do it as an outpatient. 

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon