Can I Have a Tummy Tuck or Lipo 4 Months After my C-section?

I had my c-section on february 2010. I am not currenly working and I would like to use the time to have a tumy-tuck or a liposection. I don't know if I already healed from the c-section or If I should wait more time. I already back to my before pregnant weigh, but have somefat on my belly.

+1

Thank you for the question. Based on your history and description, you will likely be a good candidate for “mommy makeover” surgery at some point.  Best to wait at least 6 months to one year prior to seeking consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly as well. Make sure that you are aware that this operation is associated with a very significant physical and emotional recovery period. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  For most patients in your situation I also use liposuction surgery as a contouring tool, most often used in the flank areas, mid-epigastric areas and pubic areas. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy tuck after C-section timing

+1
I would not recommend having the tummy tuck while you are on a maternity leave. It takes more time to recovery from the pregnancy and birth and for your body to snap back. Many women have low hematocrits after childbirth and they need to recover such that their blood values are appropriate. Also, please note that, if you are planning to have more children, you may need revisional surgery after additional pregnancies. Congratulations on your new arrival.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Timing of Tummy Tuck after C-section

+1

Hi there-

Often in plastic surgery, I find there is a difference between what would be POSSIBLE, and what is in the patient's best interests...

Would it be possible for you to safely have your tummy tuck 4 months after a c-section? Probably...

Do I think that this is a good plan if the goal is for you to also achieve the very best outcome possible? Unless you are an extraordinarily rapid healer, I would say no.

Of course, the only way to know exactly and accurately what I would recommend to you would be to examine you, but in general, I would not recommend this timing- after surgery, my name is on your outcome, and I want my patients to look as good as they possibly can- even if the timing becomes a bit less convenient in order to facilitate this better outcome.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck after C Section

+1

The short answer is yes go ahead with tummy tuck or lipo.

The longer answer involves some questions first: is this your last child? If yes, go ahead. If no, might want to wait on tummy tuck. Although I have seen patients get pregnant after tummy tuck. Stretch marks and excess skin? If yes, tummy tuck best answer. If no, maybe lipo.

For others considering this question generally speaking I like to see women back to with 10-15% of pre preg weight. And I want my patients to be at least 3 mo post abdominal surgery before tummy tuck.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck, Abdominoplasty

+1

If you have returned to your pre-pregnancy weight, you could have your tummy tuck any time. The only possible negative would be if you lost weight after your procedure, you may end up with more loose skin. I normally do liposuction with no additional charge to the patient at the time of the tummy tuck if the excess fat is anywhere on the tummy. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after c-section

+1

You should probably wait about 6 months to a year after a c-section before undrgoing a tummy tuck. You want to get back to your pre-pregnancy weight and certainly want all the swelling from the c-section to dissipate.

Liposuction or a tummy tuck should be done 8 months or more after a c-section.

+1

Though is can be done sooner, you may not get the results to be as good as if you wait longer. The skin should be mobile and not firm by that time.

Tummy Tuck after Pregnancy

+1

Yes, you should be fine for surgery. However, just like any elective procedure, the most important thing is to make sure that you are in good medical condition prior to having surgery. Also, with tummy tuck or abdominoplasty, you really should not lift anything heavy for about a month after surgery while you are healing. So, it would be important that you have someone who can help take care of your newborn as well. Good luck with your procedure.

David Shafer, MD

Timing of tummy tuck after C-section

+1

The most important thing is to be at a healthy, stable lifestyle and weight before body-contouring procedures. It is great that you have lost all of your pre-pregnancy weight. Ask yourself if you are also at your optimal fitness as far as exercise and activity. muscle toning, and habits are concerned.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Tummy tuck 4 months after delivery is too soon

+1

Even though the timing might seem convenient, as the other doctors have said, you should wait at lease 6 months, preferably longer, before having surgery after delivery. The tissues need that time to maximally recover from the stretching of pregnancy. It is more likely that you will need a tummy tuck if you want the tightest flattest tummy that you can have and this is a big operation, not one to be taken lightly. Also, make sure that you are done having kids before doing this.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS