Interacting with Children After Tummy Tuck

I am schedule for a Tummy Tuck soon, I have 2 babies ages 2 1/2 and 1 year old. I was told that I cannot lift anything over 10 lbs. for six weeks. How am I supposed to interact with a one year old for six weeks without any lifting?

You can pick up your kids 2 weeks after a tummy tuck.

+3

Hi! I don't blame your surgeon for being conservative, but there is no need to tie you down for 6 weeks.

We do a fair number of abdominoplasties in Manhattan, and we would tell you to pick up your kids in 2 weeks (the one year old, you can pick up in one week) and to feel free to exercise in 4 weeks. We have very few problems with this timetable.

Tummy tuck recovery with young children at home

+2

Following any surgical procedure, you need to expect some major downtime.

After a tummy tuck, I generally recommend avoiding lifting more than 5 pounds for 4-6 weeks and to avoid twisting and bending motions during that time.

You will likely wear an abdominal 'binder' (light compression garment) that supports the front of your abdomen and your back and helps to protect the work done during surgery.

With young children at home, you will need some HELP!

Hopefully, a family member or caregiver can assist with activities of daily living for both you and your children after surgery for a period of around 6 weeks.

If you are considering surgery but don't have the resources or supports necessary to undertake a tummy tuck or other "mommy makeover" surgery, then WAIT until it is safe for you and your loved ones to proceed.

+1

Your surgeon will know the specifics of your case, and will be able to guide you appropriately. Rather than receive conflicting instructions from online consultants, request your surgeon to clarify his/her postoperative instructions in regards to your children.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.