I've lost a substantial amount of weight over a 2 year period. 150 lbs. Tummy Tuck or Laser Skin Tightening? (photo)

It's left me with a mess of loose skin on my tummy and back. I still have about 30 lbs I'd like to lose and I'm still extremely active but I'm worried that this skin will not tighten up. I know something will have to be done. I'd much prefer the laser method as it is cheaper and will let me have a quicker recovery time but I'm worried that my problem is too severe. Insights?

Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Nonsurgical methods, including Laser, will not give the the benefit you desire.

See two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area to be sure that you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

Laser v Tummy Tuck

+1

There is  no question with that kind of weight loss you will need a tummy tuck or body lift to get the best result. Patients such as yourself who have lost weight through diet and exercise recover quicker and I think have better results in most cases than those who have undergone gastric bypass without additional exercise.  You should be applauded for your success.  Save up for the correct surgery, wait until you have been at a stable weight for 6 to 12 months and don't waste your money on a laser.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Laser Skin Tightening?

+1

First thanks for posting the photos. Secondly how great for you with that weight loss! Finally after reading your statements and the 5 responses so far isn't obvious that any non invasive therapy would be only invasive to your pocket book, just throwing $'s away. You are a candidate for a full tummy tuck with muscle repair as 4 out of the 5 (now 6) responders have stated, (Drs. Jaibaji, DeMars, Kraft, Rand). The only desenter is in type of surgery technique by recommending liposuction over a TT. In my opinion a bad option. But either way you need invasive therapy not laser skin tightening. Best of luck. 

Tmmy tuck or laser skin tightening

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulation on losing all the weight. From the history of significant weight loss and the photos, I think you are a candidate for surgery. So forget the laser. Your question should be what type of surgery. You need to consultation with a board certified surgeon to evaluate you midsection and determine the appropriate surgery for you.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Tummy Tuck or Laser Skin Tightening?

+1

Thanks for including photos, they are a great help in answering questions like this. You have done a great job of losing most of the fat from under the skin, but there is nothing you can do to improve the loss of elasticity the skin now has. While I understand it is tempting to go with a less expensive and non surgical option, the only benefit from the laser will be a modest improvement at best and a significant waste of money. An abdominoplasty can give you a markedly improved contour with a tighter more youthful abdomen.

PS I hope you are not travelling to Dubai in the future based on what I just read below.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Laser tightening v tummy tuck

+1
You are asking about two procedures at opposite ends of the spectrum. Given the degree of skin laxity you demonstrate, laser, Thermage or any of the non-invasive methods would be throwing money down the drain. You are a surgical candidate. The amount of excess skin is apparent on the photographs. Congratulations on the outstanding weight loss.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Either do surgery or nothing for skin tightening after massive weight loss

+1

Congratulations on the great weight loss and getting your life and health back.  Unfortunately, the elasticity of your skin will never return and there is no laser technology that will have any benefit for you (maybe even nobody else too).  The only reasonable way to take care of the laxity you have is with surgery.  Otherwise, do nothing but continue exercising.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS