Tummy Tuck or Laser Skin Tightening Post Pregnancies?

I am 130lbs, 5'5". I work out hard core everyday and have been for about 2 months, I have noticed my stomach shrinking and my skin firming up a little but, I have considered a Tummy Tuck but want to avoid that if there is a better alterntive, I do not want the scar.

My stomach looks great when I stand up, but when I sit down, its pretty disgusting. (2 kids, 18 months apart) Will laser skin tightening work or should I just do the tummy tuck procedure or just continue to work out?

Laser Liposuction Not Laser Skin Tightening May Avoid Tummy Tuck

+3

Thank you for your question. Non-surgical laser skin tightening will disappoint you as the best technology available provides at best 20% tightening compared to the 100% tightening of a tummy tuck.

However from your photographs it appears that you do not have a lot of excess skin and there is a slightly increased amount of fat beneath your skin.

In my experience in patients who have a similar appearance to your photographs, laser liposuction using the SSlimLipo laser liposuction technique safely removed the fat and also produces enough skin tightening for a satisfactory appearance.

If you want the tightest tummy possible then you will need a tummy tuck and a small amount of liposuction. However you say you do not want scarring and thus I think laser liposuction is an acceptable alternative for you.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in tummy tuck and laser liposuction seizures, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Best treatment for the abdomen after pregnancy

+3

Almost every week I hear from another company that has a new great machine to get rid of excess skin without surgery. Of course there machine is touted as being better than all of the others out there. I lost faith in these companies years ago.

According to present day plastic surgery lore, there are 5 types of abdomens:
1. requires no surgical treatment
2. is best treated with liposuction only
3. is best treated with a combination of liposuction & a mini abdominoplasty/tummy tuck
4. is best treated with a combination of liposuction & a modified abdominoplasty/tummy tuck
5. is best treated with a combination of liposuction & a standard abdominoplasty.

In relatively few cases there is little or no liposuction needed in a specific patient who lies in one of these categories.

Which category you are in depends on the relative amounts of excess skin/fat vs. abdominal muscle laxity you have above vs. below the navel. There are some good plastic surgeons who believe 4 should not exist. Also, there are probably naturalists, trainers, etc. out there who believe none of these should exist except 1. My experience & training lead me to believe that all 5 are valid & that diet & exercise can be combined with any of the 5. Only 2 or 3 may be amenable to non-surgical skin shrinkage if the machine works. I am not sure that machine currently exists.

There are a significant number of people out there with a condition know as diastasis recti (separation of the 2 central abdominal muscles) which is never amenable to diet or exercise. It is more common after the inherent stretching of pregnancy especially if the muscle is cut during C-section. These people need surgical tightening of the displaced abdominal muscles. Excess fat can be lost to some degree with diet & exercise depending on age, metabolism, etc.. Resistant fat may be amenable to liposuction.

The end result of liposuction or weight loss in turn is dependent on the ability of the skin left behind to shrink. Excess skin is more of a problem. Its ability to shrink after liposuction, pregnancy, large weight loss (decrease in the amount of fat under the skin) or decrease in underlying muscle mass is dependent on age, genetic makeup & how much shrinkage is required to get the desired result. If you need a lot of shrinkage, especially if you are older, it just doesn't happen. Not even exercise can shrink this skin. The result is flabby wrinkled skin that may have stretch marks.

These people require surgical removal of the excess skin because once the skin has been stretched beyond a certain limit it will not shrink much like an overstretched rubber band that has lost its elasticity. Not even ultrasonic liposuction can shrink this skin. If you are planning to or are in the process of losing weight, at any age, it is better to go ahead with the weight loss for health reasons. Once the weight is lost you can then continue an exercise program to tone the muscles. If the skin doesn't shrink it can be excised at a later date. There is no form of exercise that can shrink excess skin. Mild excesses, however, may appear less so after increasing the bulk of the underlying muscle. If the skin does not shrink sufficiently within 6 to 10 months it is unlikely it will ever do so. The presence of stretchmarks means the skin is even less likely to shrink.

The amount of excess skin can be assessed by standing in front of the mirror and pinching the skin above the his on the sides. If the belly button is then covered by skin or if it is covered on standing without the pinch you are a candidate for regular abdominoplasty. In this case you have so much excess skin that no non-surgical machine could get rid of it.

Aaron Stone, MD

Nonsurgical Tightening of Loose Skin Instead of Tummy Tuck

+1
Your stomach contour looks great in your photo - nice job on faithfully doing your core exercises!

If you don't want to get surgery, there are nonsurgical options that can help tighten loose skin and minimize the appearance of stretch marks. Laser based treatments and micro needling can help, however the results can be unpredictable and take longer to achieve. If you have the patience, please talk to a medical aesthetician or plastic surgeon about them. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Post pregnancy tummy tuck versus laser skin tightening

+1

Laser will not produce the results you are seeking. It has marginal efficacy and the amount of tightening produced will be minimal. Your pictures indicate that you are a candidate for an abdominoplasty. Liposuction may be an adjuvant procedure to enhance the result.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tight Tummy = Tummy Tuck NOT "laser"

+1

If you want to have the tightest tummy you ever had - have a tummy tuck. Yes, you will have a scar that stays hidden in your underwear but in exchange you WILL have a flat tummy that lasers, exercise, acupuncture, lotions, pills, will never get you as well as a narrower waist.

While exercise is good, it cannot take in and narrow your abdominal wall muscles which were stretched by your pregnancies - only a tummy tuck can do it.

To fully understand everything you need to know about Tummy Tuck, follow the comprehensive link below -

Dr. P. Aldea

Abdominal skin tightening

+1

In general, plastic surgeons assess the abdomen in a neutral standing position, not so much when sitting or bending since these dynamic changes are less controllable and are dependent on muscle tone and skin elasticity. Laser liposuction does not tighten skin per se and will not significantly change the way you look when sitting. You might consider a mini-tuck or modified tummy tuck approach. The other thing you have to understand is that plastic surgery does not have a good answer for all situations. SInce you look great when standing and are not too concerned with stretch marks, you might want to consider trying to be happy with what you've got until it is bad enough or intolerable where you will accept the scar.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

+1

TT is your only option. anything else will not address your skin which appears to have striae (stretch marks) that are like scars which will never go away and never allow the skin to shrink.  keep working out you you still have room for improvement on your own.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Laser lipo vs TT

+1

I would recommend an abdominoplasty.  Liposuction could be incorporated for the flanks.  Laser liposuction results are disappointing and I do not recommend them, particularly for you.  Make sure you see a board - certified plastic surgeon

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Skin tightening - Laser or Tummy Tuck

+1

With the picture shown, your best results would be from a combined mini (or full) tummy tuck and laser liposuction. Most of the skin laxity is in the lower abdomen, with the amount of stretchmarks, the loose skin will be best removed. I would combine a laser lipo treatment mainly to the upper abdomen and flank (hips) area for improved contouring to the areas that will not be removed with the tuck.

Generally, if the problem is:

• skin alone - tummy tuck
  • fat alone - liposuction (laser or ultrasound assisted or standard lipo)
  • skin and fat - combined procedure: laser lipo min-tuck or laser lipo-tummy tuck.

J. Vicente P. Poblete, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

You need full tummy tuck

+1

As you stated ,you have more laxity while sitting and this means that you have separation of the abdominal muscle due to the pregnancies. You would benifit from combined lipo and tummy tuck.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon