What About a Tummy Tuck and Lap Band Procedure Being Done in the Same Procedure?

I have excess skin which is resulting in yeast infections on my skin. My doctor has suggested a tummy tuck. I am also overweight 5 foot 3 202lbs and am waiting to be approved for a lap band procedure. Can they be done at the same time?

Can I have a tummy tuck and lap band at same time?

+1

The purpose of the lab band procedure is to help you lose weight.  The purpose of the tummy tuck is to remove your loose skin AFTER you have lost weight.  Doing them at the same time does not make much sense...with weight loss after the lap band, you would develop additional loose skin and may require a second tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck and lap band procedure

+1

Tummy tucks are indicated to remove excess abdominal skin and fat in patients who are at or near their ideal weight. If you are having lap band surgery for weight loss you should probably undergo that procedure weight, lose weight until you achieve and maintain your target weight, and then consult with a plastic surgeon for elective abdominoplasty.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

+1

Easy answer NO! Very unlikely you can find a boarded PS to accept you on these terms. Best of luck. Lap it FIRST!

Lap band is for weight loss; tummy tuck is for AFTER you lose the weight!

+1

Of course, combining two operations into one procedure is appealing because it decreases the risks (by half), combines the recovery into one instead of two, and generally reduces costs somewhat. But if you have a tummy tuck at the same time as a weight loss procedure, what once was tight will again be loose after your weight loss!

Lose the weight after your lap band, stabilize in a healthy manner, and then proceed with the best tummy tuck for your "new and improved" post-weight-loss body! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Lap Band & Tummy Tuck Should Not Be Performed Together

+1

Your lab band procedure and tummy tuck should be performed at the same time.  This would be true for any type of bariatric surgery.  The reason for having the lap band is to lose weight which, in all likelihood, will rsult in a significant amount of excess skin.  It is when you reach your desired weight that a tummy tuck would be appropriate.

John Whitt, MD

NO

+1

Tummy tucks are for thin people. You should lose the weight first then think of cosmetic surgery. If you just want to get rid of the apron then a pannulectomy can be performed.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD