Possible Kidney Problems and Other Risks After Tummy Tuck?

I am 47 now and 2 years ago I weighed about 132 kgs and in 8 months with some rigorous weight training, I reduced my weight to 90 kgs. Now, I am into serious body building. I have very loose skin on my belly area and was advised a Tummy Tuck. Recently, I have been told that after about 5 years of haviing a tummy tuck, some renal (kidney) problems start to appear. Can you please comment on this, plus any long term adverse effects post op? Thanks.

Renal failure following a tummy tuck

+1

Hic,

Thanks for the question. To my knowledge, there is nothing in the literature that would suggest a correlation between a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty, and the development of delayed-onset acute renal failure (ARF) or chronic renal failure for that matter. Most patients, in fact, do quite well following a tummy tuck and tend to be some of our most pleased clients.

If you are a serious body builder and are taking any sort of performance-enhancing supplements, I would recommend a thorough pre-operative work-up including some general labs prior to undergoing a tummy tuck to ensure that your underlying renal status isn't in a compromised state.

Best of luck.

Kidney failure 5 years after an abdominoplasty is not related

+1

I am not aware of any relationship between abdominoplasty and a delayed renal failure.

Occasionally there can be some prolonged numbness in the lower abdomen.

There are trade-offs involved with any surgical procedure. Scar, numbness, cost etc.

The majority of patients who have a history of significant weight loss as you describe end up very pleased after abdominoplasty.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.