I Had a Tummy Tuck on June 7th 2011. On or About the 1st a Few Spots Started Leaking Fluids.

On june 7th I had a tummy tuck.Around the 1st of July i started having some heavy discharge from a few diffrent spots along the incision line.To make a long story short i was opened up in these spots and had to pack them for about 2 weeks and then i was taken back into surgery and they were reclosed.They were reclosed on july 22.Last night july29 i noticed that a spot was bleeding and it is about the size of a pin hole.should i be worried i see my doctor in 2 days.

Tummy Tuck and Incision Opening?

+1

Based on your description,  there is probably not much cause for concern.  However, a phone call into your plastic surgeons office to keep him/her " in the loop"  is warranted.

+1

Always best to call your chosen surgeon who knows your surgical history better than we do. I would want to see you ASAP!

Bleeding from reclosed tummy tuck incision.

+1

The fact that your incision opened up and had "heavy discharge" requiring wound packing indicates probable wound infection. Was a culture taken? Were antibiotics prescribed? Are you still on them after reclosure of your wound a week ago?

A pinhole draining blood in and of itself is not a major concern. However, in this setting you are right to be concerned, and I would recommend a call to your surgeon's office first thing in the morning. He may want you to come in sooner, or may prescribe antibiotics in the meantime, or both.

I would hope any patient of mine would call and ask my advice rather than go online, but that's just me. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Draining abdominal wound

+1

Its always best to call your doctor and get advice. This way you can get your best information and your doctor can be best prepared to help you. As a doctor I always would rather get a call I did not need to get as opposed to not getting the call I need to get.

Wendell Perry, MD

Bleeding tummy tuck incision

+1

In the absence of significant redness, swelling or fever, you are most likely fine to see him within two days. It is,however, always best to make a phone call to your plastic surgeon's office to review your concerns.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon