Tummy Tuck: Bad Reaction to Stitches

I am 5 weeks po Friday the 8th of April. I have had a wonderful recovery except the fact I am having a bad reaction to the stitches that are not dissolving. My scar on both sides is gorgeous. Thin line, barely even red and as flat as the rest of the skin. You can't even feel a lump. But the center of my scar above the pubic region has been inflamed and causing these puss filled sores that when squeeze release knots and stitches. After the stitch is out I'm great. But there is one after another!

Tummy Tuck: Bad Reaction to Stitches

+1

Sorry for the allergic reaction. Maybe a complete scar revision using removal sutures might solve your issue. From MIAMI 

These are probably stitch abscesses from skin-bacteria-contaminated Vicryl sutures.

+1

Please search elsewhere on this site for my answer to "Vicryl Sutures After Tummy Tuck - Allergic Reaction?" It is clear that not every suture in your incision is having this "reaction," which is why only those sutures that somehow became contaminated with skin bacteria, or in this area of slightly less circulation (where there may be slightly less capability for your body to fight off the superficial skin bacteria that have "hidden" in the braid of your suture material). Even if your surgeon used a monofilament suture such as Monocryl, you have developed localized stitch abscesses, for which the treatment is local care as you have been doing. As these sutures either dissolve or "spit out," the problem will cease and healing will proceed. This can leave a tiny bit more irritation, inflammation, and resultant thicker scar, but these effects are usually small and resolve as the scars soften and mature over 6-12 months.

I can't help but notice your e-name. If you had breast implants placed at the same time as your tummy tuck, please ask your plastic surgeon about extending your antibiotic coverage until your tummy tuck incision issues are completely resolved. This may help to reduce the likelihood of bacterial contamination of your not-yet-completely-healed breast pockets causing capsular contracture!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon