Is Tummy Tuck Covered by Insurance?

I have bad back problems. My insurance covered a breast reduction and my upper back pain is gone! I feel like a new woman! Now, my focus is my lower back, which hurts more than ever.

Would my insurance be willing to cover a tummy tuck since my belly weighs more than my breasts ever did? I just want to be able to walk and play with my 4 year old. I just turned 30, and I'm too young to be feeling like an old lady.

In my experience, never.

+2

Hi there-

There is a critical difference between your breast reduction and a possible abdominoplasty...

There have been many well done studies showing that reduction of large breasts does indeed improve symptoms of back and neck pain in patients like you. No such studies exist suggesting that abdominoplasty improves back pain- and in fact I can tell you that in most cases, patients with lower back pain will experience short term WORSENING of this pain after a tummy tuck. This is because after the abdominal muscles are repaired, most patients splint to protect them, and the back muscles are forced to compensate- worsening back pain for a while.

I have made multiple attempts to obtain coverage for abdominoplasty patients over the years, and have come to the conclusion that this is a waste of time and resources...

If you can find a plastic surgeon willing to attempt to get your procedure covered, you can consider making the attempt, but should not be optimistic.

More than likely, you will need to obtain financing or pay for the procedure yourself, just as you would any other aesthetic procedure.

Probably not -

+1

Most companies do not cover abdominoplasties, but you can contact the company and ask them. This is considered cosmetic and usually is an uncovered surgery.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD