Tummy Tuck Incision Location

By looking at my picture, would I have to have an incision that would be hip to hip? Also, would the doctor cut on my c-section scar? Or since my pooch is much higher, would the incision be higher?

Lower tummy tuck incision

+2

I would agree with my colleagues that you would benefit most from a full tummy tuck, provided your health is good.

Typically we would make the lower incision below the C-section and the upper incision above the umbilicus. 

The final incision will end up somewhere in-between.

Of course all plastic surgeons want to make a low incision.  The problem is that you can't always make a low incision if the skin is not loose enough to close the wound.  Wounds that are closed too tightly often give bad scars or pull pubic structures too high, a bad problem.

There are in-between versions that make incisions shorter, usually with a trade-off of a lower scar with a small vertical incision.

Tummy Tuck and C-Section Scar

+2

Your tummy tuck incision could easily be placed below your C-section scar, cut out the C-section scar, and remove the pooch of your mid- and upper abdomen.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck incision placement

+1

In my practice, I would always place your tummy tuck incision below your c section scar and therefore remove the c section scar.  Most of your lower abdominal stretch marks would also be removed.  The scar would go from hip to hip. Best of luck!

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Below your c-section scar

+1

I would place your scar low, below your c-section scar.  You can still address all of the overhanging through a low incision.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Tummy tuck scar location

+1

Based on your photo, you should be able get your scar at or below your c-section scar.  You have a very lax skin and stretch marks; your plastic surgeon will be able to get your scar at your c-section scar. However, expect to have a hip-to-hip scar.

Sugene Kim, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

Not necessarily.  It will depend on how low you want it.  Looking at your photo, the lower the incision, the longer the incision will be.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Low Brazilian Tummy Tuck Incision

+1

You can have a low Tummy Tuck incision at the level of your C section scar, which will be removed. The loose skin, stretch marks on your lower abdomen, and the "pooch" as your refer to it, will be removed.  Judging from your photo, a hip to hip incision will be required, but it will allow the skin to feel tighter and flatter on the sides of your abdomen. In any case, the incision should be concealed in your bikini.

Richard Wellington Swift, MD

Tummy Tuck Incision Placement

+1

Your incision would not be higher.  It is usually slightly lower than the C-section scar.  The goal of the incision is to have the final placement of the incision in the bikini area.  This keeps the incision concealed.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Options for scar placement

+1

From your picture, it appears that you will require a hip to hip inicision, When it comes to the locations, there are many options for scars that depend on your preferences. For example if you want most of the stretch marks removed the scar will have to be higher, on your abdomen. IF you want to wear low cut jeans, the the scar can be placed lower but will tend to longer.

Abdomen and tummy tuck

+1

The goal is to keep the incision just above the mons pubis and the skin and fat beneath the incision and the umbilicus can be removed.