I'm Having a Tummy Tuck Done in 5 Weeks and I'm Wondering if I Need to Lose 5 to 10 Lbs Before the Surgery for Better Results?

I am 5'9", have had two children and currently weigh 170. The surgeon said its not necessary but could be helpful. Now I'm wondering if I should wait longer for the surgery? I'm not sure what is the right thing to do.

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+2

If you are within 5-10 lbs of your ideal weight before a tummy tuck, you should have a nice result. You do not necessarily need to lose that extra weight unless your plastic surgeon feels strongly about it. Generally, the lower your body weight at the time of surgery, the lower the risk of complications (infection, wound healing, etc). Discuss this further with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.

Dr.Bruno

5-10 lb Weight Loss Before Surgery

+2

At your height a 5- 1o lb weight loss will not affect the look of your tummy tuck.  You will want to be in good nutritional balance at the time of your procedure.  This is not a wise time for calorie restriction.  

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Tummy Tuck and Weight Loss

+1
Losing just 5 pounds probably won't make that much difference in the overall surgical outcome.  Since your surgery is 5 weeks away, it wouldn't be unreasonable to lose a few more pounds for your overall health and to feel your best, but it isn't absolutely necessary for surgery.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Need to Lose 5 to 10 Pounds Before Tummy Tuck

+1

Being 5 to 10 pounds within your goal weight should be fine and not make any difference to the outcome of your surgery. Trying to lose weight right before surgery is not a good idea, it is better to be at a weight that you can maintain and eat a healthy diet both before and after surgery. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Weight loss prior to tummy tuck

+1

I don't think 5-10lbs will make much difference.  I usually want my patients are healthy and reach their stable, goal weight prior to surgery.  You want to make sure that you can maintain your preoperative weight after the surgery as well.  You don't want to lose too much weight or gain weight after your surgery.  Again, 5-10lbs should not make a big difference.  Good luck to you.

Sugene Kim, MD

No worries...

+1

I don't think you need to worry. And most of my patients lose about 7-10 lb. with a TT anyways so I wouldn't try and lose. As was said, more important to not gain after!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1

I agree with your surgeon that it will likely make very little difference to lose a little weight prior to your tummy tuck. What is more important than losing weight before the surgery is NOT to gain weight after the tummy tuck. That's the problem that your really want to avoid by watching your diet and your weight carefully after the surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Lose weight before a TT?

+1

Your BMI is about 25 so in general you are fine for a TT, but it ultimately depends on your fat distribution and for any more specific answer an exam or at least photos would be required.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1

Honestly, 5 or 10 lbs will probably not make any visible difference. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Wondering if I Need to Lose 5 to 10 Lbs Before the Surgery

+1

It is best to be close to your desired weight at the time of surgery. 5 to 10 pounds, however, seems close enough, so I wouldn't change your plants. It will be best, however, to discuss this with your surgeon, who knows you and has actually examined you.

All the best.