How Will a Tummy Tuck Impact my Practice of Bikram Yoga?

Bikram Yoga requires intense back, forward and side bends. Have you done a Tummy Tuck on a Bikram yogi? Did they lose any range of motion after their recovery? When did you advise they could return to class?

About 2 months.

+2
Hello, I've actaully just had this discussion with one of my patients. Some components of yoga you will be able to do at about 1 month but really only the very light stuff. Full yoga such as camel position etc will likely take closer to 6 months for you to feel comfortable with. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Yoga after tummy tuck

+1
You should be able to do yoga once you've allowed yourself that 6 week wait after surgery and if your recovery has been going well, although you should start off slowly and build up as to not cause damage. For better advice, please ask your surgeon.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Tummy Tucks and Yoga

+1

In the long term, a tummy tuck should not affect your yoga activity.  You will have to ease back into yoga and other exercise very slowly; you can most likely do light activity after a month or two but may not be able to do more difficult positions for 4-6 months after surgery.  Everyone heals at different paces and it's important not to push too hard during recovery.  Once you are fully healed, however, your flexibility should not be compromised.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Bikram Yoga after Tummy Tuck

+1

Your surgeon will be in the best position to guide you based on the specifics of your case. Typically, you will need 4 - 6 weeks before proceeding with light yoga. For strenuous positions, may need about 6 months.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Yoga

+1

You should certainly be able to return to yoga at some time, but it can vary depending on a few issues. If you have extensive muscle work done with the surgery, it would delay being able to return to exercise.  It also,varies widely depending on the individual, but I would expect about one month.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Bikram Yoga and Tummy Tuck

+1

The short answer is it will set you back.  In most cases we use 6 weeks to resume aggressive activities one of which would be Bikram. You will have to gradually ease your way into it after 4 to 6 weeks and it may take you several months before you are doing all the moves.  It maybe a year before your don't feel tight.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Bikram Yoga after Tummy Tuck

+1

Your plastic surgeon will advise you as to when you will be able to return to activity after your procedure.  It is important to follow post operative instructions for the best recovery possible.

In the long run, you should be able to return to all activities without restrictions barring any complications.  Be careful with activities such as Bikram Yoga that may dehydrate you. 

Tummy tuck and Bikram yaga

+1

Thank you for your question. You tummy tuck should not affect your ability to excersize or do bikram yoga. You will have wait after your surgery to recover before resuming yoga. Your plastic surgeon will advice you about the length of recovery and when you can go back to yoga. The timing of yoga will also depends on how your wounds are healing.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

+1

You should have the same flexibility after surgery that you had before, but it may be 6-8 weeks after surgery before you can return to those activities

Ronald V. DeMars, MD