Tummy Tuck Safe with Multiple Medical Procedures?

I am having a hysterectomy and my bladder and bowel lifted. If I am having the above procedure done is it safe to have a tummy tuck done at the same time?

Tummy tuck can be safe with multiple medical operations

+1

Yes multiple operations can be done if there is not a large blood loss or you are planning auto transfusion. It does take much planning by all the docs involved + hospital + YOU, the patient. Good Luck

Risks of multiple surgical procedures ( hysterectomy) with tummy tuck

+1

One of the major concerns with tummy tuck is the risk of a blood clot (DVT) which could potentially travel to the lungs (pulmonary embolus). There is no doubt that when combining procedures, particularly prolonged pelvic surgery, there is a definite increased risk of DVT. As the others have discussed, this is a matter of risk tolerance and if you want to minimize these risks then you may want to consider separating the surgical procedures. There are some interventions to lower but not completely eliminate the risk such as compression stockings and seqeuntial compression devices. Blood thinners to lower the likelihood of a clot will increase the potential to bleed and possibly require a transfusion.

Tummy Tuck with bladder suspension and hysterectomy - caution!

+1

Thanks for your question -

Combining procedures is always a question of risk vs. benefit. There are complicated issues when combining multiple surgeries from different surgeons and undoubtedly there can be an increase in potential complications.

In our San Francisco area office we sometimes consider combining procedures they are usually minor. It sounds like non-elective or non-cosmetic procedures are significant.

We would probably not combine a tummy tuck with the work you're considering.

Remember - safety first!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Tummy tuck with hysterectomy usually possible

+1

It is usually possible to have a tummy tuck performed at the same time as a hysterectomy. There needs to be good communication between the plastic surgeon and the gynecologist to arrange the combination. When it comes to the bladder and bowel lifting it is hard to say how much additional surgery this would require. If it is something the gynecologist will just be doing as part of your hysterectomy you would probably be fine to have the tummy tuck at the same time.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Multiple GYN procedures and tummy tuck

+1

All surgery has risks and the more you do and the longer it takes the higher the risk. These procedures can be done at the same time safely BUT I would be concerned that the tummy tuck might compromise the bladder and bowel lift because the pressure inside the belly will be increased. I would ask your OB?GYN if he/she feels ok with doing those at the same time.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Mutiple surgical procedures with Tummy Tuck

+1

Tummy tuck may often be safely be performed with other surgical procedures. I don't understand what is meant by a "bowel lift", so I cannot answer with respect to that, however the hysterectomy and bladder suspension should be OK to perform at the same time.

The only caveat is that you should be fully evaluated to ensure that you are medically capable to endure such a lage operation safely, and with minimal risk.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Safety of Multiple Abdominal Procedures

+1

No surgery is absolutely safe. It is always a question of just how much risk are you willing to take on especially with an elective / cosmetic operation. The rate of surgical complications generally depends on your age and medical conditions (as represented by the ASA rating) and the duration of time under anesthesia.

We fairly commonly combine Hysterectomies with Tummy Tucks. If your hysterectomy and bladder suspension can be done in a reasonable time, WITHOUT injury to the bowel, and you have no medical contraindications to performance of a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty), the operation CAN be done in coordination with your GYN surgeon.

Dr. P. Aldea

Multiple abdominal procedures and a tummy tuck

+1

While it is sometimes possible to combine abdominal surgeries and a tummy tuck, the amount of surgery you require prohibits a safe tummy tuck in my opinion.  Since a TT is totally elective there is no point in doing it an at increased risk of infection or blood clots.  

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS