Can a Tummy Tuck Be Done During a Hysterectomy? (age 49)

I have suffered from endometriosis since I started menstruating at 13. I have had a laparatomy and many laparoscopies. Now, close to menopause, I feel it's time to take out the reproductive parts that have plagued me my entire life. I never bore children, but continue to have pain and problems. The CA-125 is high and a cyst is once again on my right ovary. Last surgery was 2-years ago, and this time I want to do something special, like a tummy tuck. Can this be done at time of hysterectomy? Is there a difference in healing time?

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and hysterectomy

+1

I have performed this procedure in the past but it does carry additional risk which you should discuss wiht your surgeon and may include the possibility of infection, blood loss (and/or possible transfusion) and DVT with PE.

Combined GYN and Plastics

+1

It is possible to combine the two procedures.  Some surgeons may have some concerns about increased risks of infection.  The is not evidence to date to verify You must ask  your plastic surgeon the pros and cons in his or her opinion.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy tuck can be combined with gynecologic surgery

+1

Tummy tuck can absolutely be done at the same time as gynecologic surgery in the proper setting. You must be healthy enough to tolerate the extra time under general anesthesia in the operating room and the additional blood loss.  It might not be appropriate to do a tummy tuck at the same time as a gyn surgery for cancer, as the extra healing needed might delay adjuvant treatment for the cancer. Also, you need to work with a plastic surgery and gynecolgic team who are comfortable doing combined surgeries. Not all surgeons have experience with this. The risk of infection increases slightly as procedures are combined, but most of those of us who do this are quite happy with the results

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Be Done During a Hysterectomy

+1

Yes! but it is a team approach with your GYN surgeon and your Plastic Surgeon. The surgery is longer by 1 to 3 hours, so the risks increase in complications. Healing on average is the same amount of time. This has to be done in a hospital setting. Consult your GYN first to see which Plastic Surgeons he like to work with. From MIAMI DR. B

Tummy Tuck with Hysterectomy

+1

It is possible to undergo a tummy tuck at the time of a hysterectomy, but this is accompanied by some increased risk.  Some gynecologists and some plastic surgeons have no problem performing the procedures at the same time while others are unwilling to do so.  You should discuss this with your gynecologist; if he/she is OK with it ask for a plastic surgeon with whom she/he is comfortable.

John Whitt, MD