Can a Tummy Tuck Be Done During a Hysterectomy? (age 49)

I have suffered from endometriosis since I started menstruating at 13. I have had a laparatomy and many laparoscopies. Now, close to menopause, I feel it's time to take out the reproductive parts that have plagued me my entire life. I never bore children, but continue to have pain and problems. The CA-125 is high and a cyst is once again on my right ovary. Last surgery was 2-years ago, and this time I want to do something special, like a tummy tuck. Can this be done at time of hysterectomy? Is there a difference in healing time?

Tummy tuck with a hysterectomy

This is commonly performed, however it is not my preference. There are additional risk and complication with combining the two. I like to reduce the risk of a tummy tuck as much as possible because it is one of the more risky cosmetic surgery procedures. A significant amount of the deaths in plastic surgery is related to the tummy tuck procedure combined with other procedures and some of these patience are higher risk. I like to keep the risk and complication to a minimum. If you have a family they need you for a life time. I am different than most doctors answering this question but I would not want my wife to do both.

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and hysterectomy

I have performed this procedure in the past but it does carry additional risk which you should discuss wiht your surgeon and may include the possibility of infection, blood loss (and/or possible transfusion) and DVT with PE.

Combined GYN and Plastics

It is possible to combine the two procedures.  Some surgeons may have some concerns about increased risks of infection.  The is not evidence to date to verify You must ask  your plastic surgeon the pros and cons in his or her opinion.

Dr. ES

Tummy tuck can be combined with gynecologic surgery

Tummy tuck can absolutely be done at the same time as gynecologic surgery in the proper setting. You must be healthy enough to tolerate the extra time under general anesthesia in the operating room and the additional blood loss.  It might not be appropriate to do a tummy tuck at the same time as a gyn surgery for cancer, as the extra healing needed might delay adjuvant treatment for the cancer. Also, you need to work with a plastic surgery and gynecolgic team who are comfortable doing combined surgeries. Not all surgeons have experience with this. The risk of infection increases slightly as procedures are combined, but most of those of us who do this are quite happy with the results

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Be Done During a Hysterectomy

Yes! but it is a team approach with your GYN surgeon and your Plastic Surgeon. The surgery is longer by 1 to 3 hours, so the risks increase in complications. Healing on average is the same amount of time. This has to be done in a hospital setting. Consult your GYN first to see which Plastic Surgeons he like to work with. From MIAMI DR. B

Tummy Tuck with Hysterectomy

It is possible to undergo a tummy tuck at the time of a hysterectomy, but this is accompanied by some increased risk.  Some gynecologists and some plastic surgeons have no problem performing the procedures at the same time while others are unwilling to do so.  You should discuss this with your gynecologist; if he/she is OK with it ask for a plastic surgeon with whom she/he is comfortable.

John Whitt, MD (retired)