Holding a Baby After Mini Tummy Tuck?

I had a Mini tummy tuck a week ago. I have a 10-month-old and I want to know when can I hold her again? My doctor said to be careful if I do hold her because of blood clots. What do you think?

Tummy Tuck Aftercare?

+1

Postop instructions including returning to exercise and/or lifting is individualized depending on exactly what procedure was performed. These types of questions are therefore best addressed by your plastic surgeon. Generally, I advise patients not to do any lifting greater than 10 pounds for the first 4 to 6 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.

Best wishes

Mini tummy utck and lifting

+1

You really should avoid lifitng heavy objects and children for at least 4-6 weeks. This can increase the risk of hematoma if done too soon.

Lifting restriction after mini tummy tuck

+1

Your surgeon probably made this recommendation to mninimize hematoma and NOT blood clots. YOu should avoid lifting 10-20 lbs for a minimum of two weeks and possibly longer.

Holding a baby after a mini tummy tuck

+1

After a mini tummy tuck, the patient should anticipate a prolonged recovery process. If your mini tummy tuck included repair the muscles, it is not a good idea to lift more than 5 pounds for at least five weeks after your surgery. Additional weight will cause undue pressure onto prepared muscles and may rupture the suture that was used to re-approximate your muscles.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Lifting after a mini tummy tuck

+1

I ask that my mini-tummy tuck patients avoid heavy lifting for six weeks or so. Lifting should be limited to 5 pounds or less for any extended period of time. However your young child will need attention. I would reccomend that you use your binder while lifting and minimize prolonged carrying. I reccomend avoiding heavy lifting because I want to protect the muscle tightening, not because of blood clots.

Please talk to your doctor about his/her lifitng restrictions as it varies from doctor to doctor depending upon what technique was used.

Michael Diaz, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Holding a Baby After a Mini-Tummy Tuck

+1

I generally ask my patients to refrain from heavy lifting for 6 weeks post-op. However, most of my patients are moms and the reality is that they need to lift their children much sooner. I strongly recommend that they minimize the lifting but recognize that sometimes it is unavaoidable. The concern is that the repair of the muscles or of the skin itself can be disrupted by lifting their child. Each surgeon has a different approach and you should try to remain compliant with your surgeon's recommendation

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon