Tummy Tuck for Patient with History of Hyperactive Thyroid?

Hi, after I had my 2 children, my stomach looks like a nightmare. I am a relatively petite woman besides my stomach as well as the horrifying stretch marks.

I am so unhappy with my stomach and am planning on getting a Tummy Tuck. I have had hyperactive thyroid with my last pregnancy but at my last check up (over 6 mos ago), my doctor told me my "numbers" are normal.

Is there anything I need to consider before going through with the procedure? I don't want to lose my life in the process.

Tummy tuck safe if thyroid function is now normal.

+2

Hi.

Just have your thyroid function re-checked. If it is normal, you sound like an ideal cadidate for a tummy tuck because you are young and thin. You should do fine.

Tummy Tuck if my Thyroid was overactive during pregnancy

+2

Hi there-

As long as your thyroid function is within normal range at the time of surgery, and this has been stable for a few months, there should be no problem with your tummy tuck.

It IS important to take the precaution of visiting with your endocrinologist before surgery to verify the above, but otherwise I think you should be able to proceed.

If you need help understanding how best to find a surgeon you like and can trust, please read this:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

You would need medical clearance

+2

As with any surgery, you need to have a complete medical examination first and have the physician tell the surgeon that you are cleared for surgery under general anesthesia. Having had a medical problem that is either cured, gone or under control does not mean that you can't have surgery. We need to know what you have and what medication you take for it and if it is under control. Then we decide on weather or not you are a good surgical candidate.

Sounds like surgery would be fine for you.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck surgery and thyroid

+2

You should given this information to your surgeon at your first appointment as part of your medical history. He or she will most likely obtain new bloodwork from you to evaluate your thyroid, and if there are any abnormalities you may be sent to see an endocrinologist for evaluation prior to your surgery. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck with Thyroid Condition?

+1

Well controlled thyroid conditions are not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery. Best to seek evaluation by your internist prior to proceeding.

Tummy Tuck and Thyroid

+1

With any surgery you want to make sure your health is optimized. As I am not an OB/GYN I don't know the significance of hyperactive thyroid and pregnancy. Is it gestational or does it have a post gestational component? Only an endocrinologist would know. Just make sure you see the correct doctor and get a good physical.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Hyperthyroid and Tummy Tuck

+1

Many women who have Tummy Tuck surgery have some medical problems. The important thing is to have a competent, board certified plastic surgeon doing the evaluation and treatment.

The surgeon will assess the situation and give you an idea of the risks associated with the procedure including the specific issue of hyperthyroidism during pregnancy.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck with Thyroid Disease

+1

Your thyroid function should be normal at the time of your tummy tuck to lessen chances of complications.  It seems as if you are at a state of normal thyroid function. If you have any doubt, ask your family doctor or endocrinologist if they have any concerns.

John Whitt, MD