Can a High Scar from Tummy Tuck Be Lowered?

Hi. I had my tummy tuck 2 yrs ago although it has healed fine. The scar is high and I was wondering, can’t it be lowered? And is there a reason that some people have high scars?

High Tummy Tuck scar can be lowered

+3

The placement of tummy tuck scars vary from surgeon to surgeon and also, patient to patient. If your scar is too high, it is usually possible to lower it. It can be lowered in the middle without extending the scar. But if the sides are too high, the scar needs to be extended somewhat to lower it. The procedure generally takes only 30 minutes or so, and the recovery is much easier than the original abdominoplasty.

I hope this helps!

Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Lowering a tummy tuck scar

+2

It is possible to lower a tummy tuck depending on the softness of the skin in the area of your scar. I would recommend waiting one year after your original tummy tuck surgery to attempt lowering it. This is done at the level of the skin, no muscle involvement is required, therefore your recovery is easier. The scar can still migrate upward slightly overtime, so the improvement may be mild at best; depending on how "high" it is to begin with.

Consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons prior to scheduling this procedure.

William Bruno, MD

High scars with tummy tuck

+1

High scars generally occur because of the surgeon's desire to remove all stretch marks which typically are centered around the umbilicus. Once placed in a high position the scars are difficult to lower unless significant laxity has recurred allowing more excision of skin or the skin is stretched with a tissue expander.

High abdomional scar

+1

It may be possible to lower an abdominal scar tha you feel is a bit high, but if it was done recently, you may have to wait a year or so.

How to lower a high tummy Tuck scar

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen. In our practice, we work very closely with our patients before the surgery to help plan the position of their scar. When designing our tummy tuck, we use the patients smallest bikini to help position the scar in a location that will be least noticeable

in our practice, we commonly see patients who have received tummy tucks in who are not satisfied with the high position of their scars. The most important factor in fixing this scar position is the looseness of the abdominal skin. If there is enough laxity in the abdominal wall, you would benefit from a revision tummy tuck where this abdominal flap is lowered and the scar is replaced with a low scar in a less noticeable position.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Each person has a diferent scar location

+1

It is best for the surgeon to avoid a vertical scar on the abdomen from where the belly button has been incised and so if you don't have a lot of upper abdominal excess tissue, your scar will wind up higher than others. Unless you developed a significant amount of lax skin again, there is no way to lower it. It should continue to fade over the next 2-3 years until it is quite faint.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS