Tummy Tuck After Hernia Repair with Mesh?

I had hernia repair surgery with mesh. Can I have tummy tuck done?

Tummy Tuck and Hernia

+2

Tummy tuck after hernia repair is indeed possible. Do you know what type of hernia and where the mesh was placed?

If the mesh was place intra peritoneal then a tummy tuck should be quite straight forward. If the mesh was placed above the anterior rectus fascia then a tummy tuck would be much more difficult.

This is definitely a situation where you want to choose an experienced plastic surgeon. I would also recommend choosing a surgeon who has completed a General Surgery residency program in addition to Plastic Surgery. Interview several surgeons and choose the surgeon you are most comfortable with.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after Hernia repair with Mesh

+2

A Tummy Tuck IS possible after Hernia repair with a mesh but it is more complicated.

As the Plastic surgeon I would need to see your hernia surgeon's notes and operative report to understand the problem that led to the operation and what exactly was done.

The extent and location of the hernia (Groin (inguinal / femoral), Tummy (Ventral) or Umbilical), the reason why a mesh was used rather than using local tissues, the type of mesh and its size, the way it was placed and held in place - are all important pieces that we need to know before going in.

Once we know this information and have examined you, we can plan the operation best suited for your needs.

Dr. P. Aldea

Tummy Tuck after hernia repair

+1

I would need the complete medical/surgical information of the hernia repair before I would consider doing a full tummy tuck upon you. It is a real possibility that the dissection in the tummy tuck could be difficult. So please make appointments with very qualified plastic surgeons in your area. Regards.

Tummy Tuck can be done after hernia repair with mesh

+1

It may however alter the way the surgery is done. It's a good idea to get your old operative note and to understand that you do risk a recurrence of your hernia any time the wound is reopenned and the fascia manipulated as it is in a tummy tuck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) after hernia repair

+1

Yes, you can have a tummy tuck after hernia repair (herniorrhaphy) with mesh but this is best done in consultation or discussion with your hernia surgeon. If not possible it is desireable for you to obatin copeis of your medical records or operative note.

Tummy tuck possible after hernia surgery

+1

Almost anything is possible. Make sure you give the Plastic Surgeon your complete history and all of the dates and surgeons involved in your hernia surgery.

The abdominoplasty may be a little more difficult and involved, and you want to make certain that you have an experienced surgeon, but careful treatment should provide you with a better looking abdomen with a well-done tummy tuck.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD