Will a Tummy Tuck Help Me?

its been 3 1/2 years since my c-section and i have a painful 1.5cm nodule withing the right anterior pelvic wall deep in the subcutaneous fat overlying the lower right abdominis fascia along the cesarean section incision line.

Benefit of a tummy tuck

+2

I don't know that anyone can say based on your information provided.  The little bit you have shared...it is possible that you have a tethered scar.  I have had success in releasing these scars and resolving pain.  But....it is very situation dependant.  I would discuss this with the obstetrician that did the surgery or your family doctor.  A scan may be warranted.  If in fact it is a tethered scar you could have it released on its own or in conjunction with a tummy tuck (if you need that from a cosmetic perspective).  Your obstetrician could do the scar release or a plastic surgeon could do either.

Problems after a C-section

+2

are considered medical issues and if you have insurance, would allow you to see your obstetrician or general surgeon about this.  If you wanted a cosmetic tummy tuck, your surgeon could always focus on resolving whatever that bump is, realizing that it could be outside your surgeon's expertise.  An exam is mandatory to speculate further.  See a local doctor about your concerns.

Curtis Wong, MD

Painful C-Section Nodule

+2
Without examination it is difficult to determine the likely cause of a painful nodule. Most commonly a suture knot can be a cause. Scarring is another likely cause. Scar revision with excision of either finding may help.  A tummy tuck is a cosmetic operation and designed to contour the abdomen. A side benefit would be the opportunity to address the stated concerns. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after c-section

+2

From your description, the nodule may be a scar tissue from a suture.  This alone does not  warrant tummy tuck.  However, if you have excess skin, fat, and/or diastasis (muscle separation), you may be a good candidate for tummy tuck.  Tummy tuck is a great procedure to get a good abdominal contour.  You should visit with a board-cerified plastic surgeon who can determine your candidacy for tummy tuck.  Best wishes!

Sugene Kim, MD

Abdominal wall mass

+1

If you have a painful nodule after your c section you will need to make sure that this is not a hernia.  You should be evaluated by a general surgeon.   An abdominoplasty is a cosmetic procedure and would not be done for pain relief.  

C-Section Nodule

+1

Dear Pauline 123, Without photos it is impossible for us to give you advice regarding a tummy tuck. It sounds like you may have scar tissue from your previous surgery and this can usually be taken care of with an outpatient, local anesthetic surgery. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon