Will a tummy tuck help get rid of/reduce my stretch marks? If not, what will?

I'm 24 years old, 5'4" and 144 pounds. I'm looking into getting a TT which I'm assuming I'm a candidate for. Please, correct me if I'm wrong. Every stretch mark in these pictures are a little over 3 yrs old from 1st pregnancy. I'm very distressed over the large ones near the pubic area/low abdomen. Would a tummy tuck help rid these? I have little to no feeling in this entire area, and they're very distressing. If a TT would not be sufficient are there any other options?

A TT will be a big help

+1

the TT will remove most of the stretch marks below the umbilicus centrally. the ones above the umbilicus will be moved downward. i don't believe anything works well to remove stretch marks, other than excising them as you are doing with your TT. i don't believe that lasers etc are effective in improving stretch marks.

you should get an excellent result from your TT.

david berman md

plastic surgeon, northern va

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck For Stretch Marks

+1

Thank you for your question. First I would say you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck as you are thin, and fit and have primarily loose abdominal skin.

A well performed tummy tuck will remove most of the worst stretch marks that you have, as skin from the top of the belly button down to the pubis will be removed during your tummy tuck.

The stretch marks above your belly button are whiter, less widened and will not be as noticeable when they appear lower on your tummy below your new belly button.

If the residual stretch marks bother you there are laser treatments available(see link below) which can narrow them but nothing will remove them completely.

Be certain to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, who is experienced in tummy Tuck surgery and has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck and Stretch Marks?

+1

The lower stretch marks will be removed with a tummy tuck and the upper ones brought to a lower position where they will be less obvious. While there are many nonsurgical procedures that are claimed to get rid of stretch marks, most ethical knowledgeable plastic surgeons will tell you that they have limited if any benefit, are unreliable, and not a satisfactory option in your particular situation.

If you are planning to have additional children, it is best to delay having a tummy tuck until you are finished with your pregnancies.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and stretch marks

+1

A tummy tuck will remove most of the stretch marks between the top of your belly button and your pubic area. This would be a great operation for you.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Will a TT reduce/eliminate the abdominal stretch marks?

+1

You appear to be a great candidate for a TT. This procedure would also remove most of the stretch marks; onle those above the belly button will remain which will also be brought to a lower level. But those stretch marks that concern you most oinvolving the lower abdomen should be removed entirely. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Will a Tummy Tuck Remove Stretch Marks?

+1

Thank you for your pictures and your concerns regarding the stretch marks on your abdomen. You appear to be an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck procedure. In a tummy tuck, the skin from the hairline (pubic area) to the belly-button is removed. This would address the majority of the stretch marks on your belly, particularly the ones that you noted really concern.

In addition to addressing the excess skin, a tummy tuck would also help tighten the muscles in the abdominal region which can be stretched with pregnancy and/or weight fluctuations. The overall result would be a much more contoured belly and removal of many of the stretch marks resulting from your pregnancy

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Best Abdominal Wall Operation for Me?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. You are correct in that your best option to improve the appearance of your abdominal wall is tummy tuck surgery. This operation will serve to remove skin from the pubic area to the level of the umbilicus. Abdominal wall muscles that may have spread with pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss will be re approximated. The downside of the operation will be the lower abdominal wall scar.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and has reached a long-term stable weight.

Be careful of other options that may be presented to you; unfortunately, nothing short of a full tummy tuck operation will provide you with a satisfactory aesthetic result.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. will will will