Will Having a Tummy Tuck Help Also Address Fixing Same Muscles in my Umbilical Hernia?

I have had three children and am in very good shape but am considering having a tummy tuck. when i saw a plastic surgeon for this i was informed that i also have a small hernia. Since i am indecisive about having a tummy tuck my question is : by having a tummy tuck and tightening my abdominal muscles will this also fix the same muscles involved in my umbilical hernia And prevent it from recurring? Because that would encourage me to go ahead with the tummy tuck?

Umbilical hernia repair is part of an abdominoplasty.

+1

When doing abdominoplasty surgeon will often times encounter fascial tears in hernias. These are repaired is part of the abdominoplasty.

+1

Many small umbilical hernias can be repaired and then plication can be performed over this.  This several layer approach makes the recurrence of hernia less likely.  Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Hernia and tummy tuck

+1

I think it is reasonable to repair the umbilical hernia at the same time as tummy tuck.  It is a simple procedure that has good success.  It would be a shame to leave the hernia behind for surgical repair on another day.  Of course you could stage it, which means to have the hernia repair first and then the tummy tuck later.  Good luck!

Elisa A. Burgess, MD

Fixing a hernia at the same time as a tummy tuck

+1

Fixing a hernia of the umbilicus can be done at the same time, but sometimes a general surgeon is required to make sure that the hernia is fixed correctly.  Basically, it depends upon the size of the hernia.  If it's rather small, then the hernia will be fixed when the muscles are tightened and the plastic surgeon can do all of this.  However, a very large hernia will most likely require a bigger procedure to correct and therefore a general surgeon should get involved.  I have experience both ways...fixing some on my own and getting a general surgeon involved when the hernia is very large.  Good luck!   Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Tummy Tuck and Umbilical Hernia Repair?

+1

Thank you for the question.  In my practice, I will repair the umbilical hernia at the same time as tummy tuck surgery.  Umbilical hernias, by definition, refer to a defect in the abdominal wall fascia; there are no “muscles” involved in the umbilical herniations.

I would suggest, seeking consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who also feel comfortable with abdominal wall hernia repairs.

Tummy tucks and umbilical hernias

+1

Umbilical hernias can definitely be repaired at the same time as a tummy tuck. Some Plastic surgeons will repair it themselves while others will together with a General surgeon. The only downside is a slightly higher chance of having some delayed healing of the belly button when both are done together. It's still worth the risk in my opinion - only one recovery.

Ronald Schuster, MD