Does a Tummy Tuck Have Health Benefits Other Than Cosmetic?

Hi Everyone, I was thinking that getting rid of that deflated balloon of empty skin hanging down my front and becoming more streamlined has got to be beneficial for my circulation pathways in my belly area. Also, I have scoliosis and someone else post that a Tummy Tuck improves the long-term outlook for how a person grows into their golden years when they have scoliosis. Is there something more to this procedure other than getting one's body to become more pleasing to the eye?

Tummy Tuck

+2

Great question!  A tummy tuck can certainly provide more than just a cosmetic improvement.  It can alleviate lower back problems in many cases, especially when combined with tightening of the underlying muscles.  Also,  the surgery can slow down the progression of a lower back problem, such as you describe. Unfortunately, however, insurance still probably won't cover it.

Tummy Tuck And Health Benefits?

+2

Although there is no documented studies/science that demonstrate “health benefits” after tummy tuck surgery, I believe that plitation of the abdominal wall muscles serve to reconstruct patients' core  and may help with strengthening of the abdomen and back areas. I do not believe that the operation will help with the anatomic changes associated with scoliosis.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

A tummy tuck can have benefits.

+2

A tummy tuck can help improve the balance of your muscles through the torso but remains a cosmetic surgery.  I don't of any published scientific articles that successfully demonstrate any benefit for scoliosis.

Tummy tuck and scoliosis

+2

Hi, a full tummy tuck that includes repositioning and repairing the diastasis of the core recti muscles (abs) can have a beneficial effect on low back pain, as described by some patients. Scoliosis as a structural deformity would not be affected by a tummy tuck, short term or long term.

Web reference: http://www.hallakplasticsurgery.com/tummy-tuck-san-diego/