Can You Have a Tummy Tuck if You Have Had Your Gallbladder Out, the Old Way(diagonal Scar)

I had GB surg 23 yrs ago, 2 c-sections and 2 more surgeries through c-section incision.is it still possible to have a tummy tuck.

Abdominal scar and tummy tuck

+3

It is possible to undergo a tummy tuck after having undergone gallbladder surgery, but there are additional considerations in these cases. You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and understand the possible risks and complications of the surgery.

Tummy tuck

+3

I have had many patients with this very issue.  The transverse scar from your gall bladder surgery does increase the risk of a wound healing problem but I have never found it to be an issue.  Your surgeon just needs to take precautions and it will usually heal just fine.

Gary Hall,MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Gallbladder scar & tummy tuck

+3

You are right to be concerned about an old type of gallbladder scar when considering a tummy tuck.  The old scar has the potential of compromizing the blood supply of the remaining tissues.  There are ways to minimize the risks based on adjustments made to the procedure.  The 23 year period is on your side however.  However, this is a fairly complex issue and you should make sure that your plastic surgeon addresses those issues with you prior to proceeding. 

Al Aly, MD

Tummy Tuck After Open Gallbladder Surgery

+2

I think it's clear that the experts in the field have recommended careful counselling before surgery.  Avoid a surgeon who does not give this issue it's proper attention.  My experience in performing these cases is also good, and I tell pagtients that in order to preserve the blood supply, I may be able to be as aggressive in tightening the skin.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Abdominal scars and Tummy Tuck

+1

Any scar that cuts across upper belly also cuts through bridge of blood supply in abdominal wall  This compromised circulation can lead to loss of abdominal skin after abdominoplasty.  You have significantly more risk after abdominoplasty.  This risk is enhanced if abdominal skin above the gall bladder scar was to be lifted during your abdominoplasty.  Operation will need to be modified.     

Vasdev Rai, MD

Yes

+1
I have done many tummy tucks with the old subcostal incision. But again, no guarantees without seeing you first.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD