Tummy tuck with full lipo and no muscle repair?

I am booked for a tummy tuck with full lipo and no muscle repair. I have never had kids but lost about 60 pounds, so I have a lot of saggy skin but am in pretty good shape otherwise. I only consulted with two doctors, but both said forgoing the plication was an option for me. Should I be concerned that the results will not be optimal? Has anyone else had this done, and, if so, what were the results and the recovery like?

Muscle repair or not

+1

I have done any tummy tucks without muscle repair and the results are excellent. Muscle repair is not necessary in all cases, especially if you ave not had children.

Muscle repair with tummy tuck typical for post-pregnancy changes

+1

The main contributing factor to muscle separation is pregnancy, not nearly as common with weight gain for other reasons. If muscle repair is not necessary then your recovery after tummy tuck wil be faster especially return Tim vigorous exercise.

Richard Baxter, MD

+1

Most but not all patients do well to have a muscle plication. However, for those patients with a tight muscle wall, and no muscle separation, the plication creates post op discomfort, but no improvement, so it is better not done.

The decision to plicate or not is definitively made in the operating room for most patients.

Results should be good, recovery easier.

All the best.

Plication during abdominoplasty

+1

I do not perform muscle fascial plication in every abdominoplasty. It may not be necessary, which seems to be your case or may even result in widening of the waist, which is not desirable.

Dennis Hurwitz, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon