Is Tummy Tuck a Must for Me? (photo)

Hi all :) I'm Dan, 26 years old, 1.77cm, 65kg. I've lost 35kg in 2 years. I have some excess skin in my tummy. (Also gynecomastia, but that's a different story.) I went and saw a surgeon, who confirmed that for me. However, I keep reading various posts, saying exercising and gaining a lot of muscle-mass would "fill" and stretch the excess skin. Is it possible? Does it have truth to it? I've included some photos of me, please advise me. :) Many thanks for your time. :) Dan

Tummy Tuck? try lipo first

+1

Yes you may be a candidate for both breast reduction (gynecomastia and tummy tuck. Though you may want to try lipo first. It is certainly possible with the following caveat: A physical exam must be done to rule out a hernia or weakness in the abdominal wall. Your skin laxity and quality is evaluated. Your health status has to be evaluated. This can go very smooth if all the bases are covered from a medical standpoint. Safety is number one.

You would do great with a tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and thank you for the photos. You would benefit from a tummy tuck and I think your results (if done well) will be terrific. You may also consider liposuction or laser liposuction of your chest at the same time.  I am not sure where you live, but if you are anywhere near NYC or willing to make the trip, I would be happy to see you and give you the results you are looking for.

Several options are available to you for abdominal contouring

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  From the photos we can see some skin and soft-tissue laxity as well as some excess fat but your skin appears to be in good shape.  Your options include liposuction alone, non-invasive fat reduction such as coolsculpting, and either a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck.  All of these options have pros and cons to them.  For example, coolsculpting will have no downtime but the lease amount fat reduction and therefore the least amount of result.  A full tummy tuck on the other hand would tighten your entire abdomen but at higher cost and more downtime.  Honestly, I suspect a mini tummy tuck would likely be your best bet as long as you are ok with how your belly button looks since a mini tummy tuck would not improve its appearance.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/plastic-surgery/tummy-tuck.cfm

A Full Tummy Tuck Appears To Be The Appropriate Surgery

+1

Your weight loss and the appearance in your photographs indicate to me that you would do well with a full tummy tuck.  Having done many male abdominoplasties on men who have lost significant weight, I find their muscles are separated (not unlike a woman after pregnancy).  I am not totally certain of the mechanism of separation, but they have all done well with the muscle repair and full abdominoplasty. 

Only a complete physical exam with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will answer the question of whether you need just a skin excision or complete abdominoplasty.  Be sure the plastic surgeon you choose has a lot of experience with post weight loss abdominoplasties. 

I have operated on several body builders who had lost a lot of weight when they were younger, and although the muscle mass looked very nice on them, they still had loose skin which had lost its elasticity from weight gain and loss, and therefore needed an abdominoplasty even after building large muscles.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

For men the procedure you would need is lipectomy removal of the skin only. For your Chest you can do Vaser liposuction or gynecomastia depending if you have a lot of breast tissue. That can only be determined by being examined.

Is Tummy Tuck a Must for Me

+1

Dan--great work on the weight loss. Her photos it looks like you must be close to your desired weight. 

If he excess skin in her abdomen bothers here the only real solution is a tummy tuck. If there is extra skin now 2 years since you began losing weight is very unlikely that it would tighten up on its own. No amount of increased muscle mass will fill in that amount of excess skin.

As far as the breast though it looks like liposuction (with or without direct excision any firm tissue that might not come out with liposuction) would be the solution. 

good luck and best wishes.

Tummy tuck or liposuction -- seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon

+1

Once your weight has been stable for more than a year, I would seek the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon. It is very difficult based on your photographs to diagnose if you would benefit from liposuction or skin excision. Best of luck!

Tummy tuck best for loose abdominal skin, lipo for breasts

+1

Dan, what you are reading about gaining muscle mass and filling in stretch marks makes no sense to me.  You are a good candidate for a tummy tuck, and liposuction of your breasts.  I've attached a link so you can check out some men who had this (at the bottom of the page).  If you like the postop. photos, you are probably going to like your result.  You can also go to the Cosmetic Surgery for Men section of my website to view chest photos after lipo.

Web reference: http://www.swansoncenter.com/content/ideal-body/procedures/abdominoplasty/patient-photographs.asp

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is NOT a "must" for you

+1

Hello Dan. Congratulations on your weight loss!  Based on your photos, your abdomen looks pretty good to me. I would wait at least one year after your weight has stabilized before making a decision about surgery. I've seen abdominal skin shrink significantly for at least one year after weight loss in young, active, healthy people such as yourself.

Continue with your healthy lifestyle and see how it goes. If you still have loose skin that concerns you after a year, then consult with at least one board certified plastic surgeon.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck?

+1

Hi Dan.  Let me answer your questions separately.  First, no amount of exercising nor muscle mass gain will rid you of this excess skin in your lower abdomen.  Not to discourage you from working out (I highly encourage it!), but just to be clear.  Muscle mass in your chest may fill out some of the excess skin, however.  Now, whether your abdominal area requires a tummy tuck or can perhaps be improved with liposuction alone can only be determined by your board-certified plastic surgeon with a consult.  Best wishes.

Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon