Am I a Candidate for Tummy Tuck? (Photos)

I am 40 I have ALWAYS looked like I was pg in the stomach area. I have even done an olympic distance tri and worked with a personal trainer I still have the same stomach. Is this just the way I am built? I am tired of people tell me I just don't work out enough and/or that I am not eating the right way. I have tried everything for a flat stomach.I am not a mom and have never had kids (don't plan to)Are there single people out there that have not had kids that get TT?

Candidate for tummy tuck

+5

You may be a good candidate for tummy tuck or even just liposuction.  Here's how I would evaluate you:  I would have you lie down on the exam table.  If your abdomen flattens out, that means most of the excess bulk is external to your abdominal musculature and is treatable with body contouring.  If your abdomen stays rounded (like a pregnant lady's abdomen), the bulk is inside the abdomen and will not be helped  with body contouring surgery. If your abdomen flattened out,  I would also assess your skin's elasticity to determine liposuction alone would likely help with your contouring. 

Most tummy tuck patients have either had children or lost a lot of weight, but certainly some ladies who have not had either have abdomens that could benefit from contouring surgery.  People come in all shapes.  That is what keeps the plastic surgeon's job so  interesting. 

Don't forget to really explore your options!

+3

Tummy Tucks, technically known as Abdominoplasty, is a major surgical procedure to remove excess skin and fat from the middle and lower abdomen and to tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall. The procedure can dramatically reduce the appearance of a protruding abdomen. But bear in mind, it does produce a permanent scar, which, depending on the extent of the original problem and the surgery required to correct it, can extend from hip to hip. You may be a good candidate for this procedure however I would recommend having a concult with a surgeon in your area to explore the other options available to you.

You may also want to consider LifeSculpt Liposuction powered by SlimLipo. This procedure is unlike other laser or liposuction treatments. SlimLipo uses advanced technology to deliver dual wavelengths of laser light, specifically designed to easily melt fat in large areas - with less downtime, little to no bruising, and remarkable results. 

Unlike traditional liposuction, LifeSculpt powered by SlimLipo is an effective device for melting fat and not simply tearing through tissue structure of your body. The result is less body trauma and significant fat removal and dermal heating. The heating of dermal tissue has been shown to have skin tightening results which is an amazing outcome.

Lewis J. Obi, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Correcting abdominal protuberance

+3

You have an apple shape; more of your weight centered in your torso.  Your hips are narrow, your thighs relatively thin and your buttocks small.  An abdominoplasty addresses several things.  One is excess skin.  You appear to have some, but not a lot.  Tightening the muscles along the midline will flatten the abdomen further, but how much can be accomplished depends on how much internal fat there is.  It would appear that you have a greater amount of internal fat than external fat.  Lie down and see how flat your abdomen gets.  An abdominoplasty is unlikely to get your abdomen any flatter than that (when your are standing).  If the change from standing to lying down is not that great you might benefit more from liposuction alone.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a full examination and recommendations.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Am I a candidate for tummy tuck?

+2
Thank you for your question and photos!  I hope that these answers help!  Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure.  Looking at your photos, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly.  
I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results.  Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.  Also, I would recommend performing this procedure after you have completed child bearing, as your appearance may return with each pregnancy.  
Once you are ready for the procedure, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck with abdominal wall tightening along with some liposuction to the hips/flanks for additional contouring.  You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options and then likely return once you have achieved your ideal weight  in order   to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you.  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Tummy Tuck Without Prior Pregnancy...

+2

Although the vast majority of tummy tuck patients have undergone a prior pregnancy (or several pregnancies), this is in no way a requirement. Even men can undergo tummy tuck surgery.

Looking at your photos, it does seem apparent that you could benefit from a tummy tuck procedure. The skin and fat removal, as well as the muscle tightening, would each contribute to produce a "flattening" influence on your tummy profile.

The question is not so much whether you would see improvement following surgery, but, rather, if your degree of improvement would meed your expectations and leave you happy with your surgical result. No one can predict this for you, but a good consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon would be a definite step in the right direction.

Charles Gruenwald, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck without pregnancy

+2

Human bodies come in all sizes and shapes. The most important thing is to achieve as fit and as healthy a lifestyle as you can maintain. In general, being fit is more important to healthy than fat content. if you are as fit as you can be, then a plastic srugeon can examine you and determine if, and how, to acheive your desired result. Whether that is surgical excision in the form of a tummy tuck (of which there are many variants) or liposuction (of which there are a host of techniques), or a combination, will be determined by your plastic surgeon. The second most important thing is to customize your surgery to your anatomy and your desired goal.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Round Abdomen but Never Pregnant

+2

There are several things a surgeon would assess in someone such as yourself. First, how much subcutaneous fat is there - this is fat between the skin and muscles that can be liposuctioned. The next would be if there is any fascial laxity in the abdomen that would help to create a rounded abdominal appearance. Lastly would be to assess how much of the contour is due to 'intra-abdominal' fat - fat located deep to the muscles, surrounding the internal organs. Your photos seem to indicate the presence of some subcutaneous fat, which could be addressed with liposuction. Fascial laxity, if present, can be addressed with a modified abdominoplasty. Unfortunately visceral fat can only be treated with diet and exercise. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Great Tummy Tuck Candidate

+1

You sound like a Great Tummy Tuck Candidate and congratulations for staying in shape as exercising your core abdominal muscles will make your Tummy Tuck result that much better. Here are some guidelines

Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not

respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain

that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a

tummy tuck may be right for them. Abdominoplasty candidates have:

• excess abdominal skin which may sag
  • a disproportionate or protruding abdomen
  • weakened or separated abdominal muscles
  • excess fat concentrated in the abdomen
  • Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Am I a Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

+1

While nothing beats a hands on examination, your photographs are VERY useful.

It is really not very helpful to lump you into one of the classic fruit groups (Apple VS Pear). Despite your fitness level it appears you have moderate fat deposits of the back, love handles and upper and lower abdomen which give you the appearance you hate. Having not had children, it is unlikely that you suffered much of a muscle separation and stretch.

While a Tummy Tuck (with back liposuction) may improve you by 50-60%, it will NOT get you the figure you deserve. In my opinion, you would first benefit from circumferential liposuction which will reveal your hard-earned underlying musculature (this may be combined, if you wish with a Brazilian Butt Lift to enhance the size and shape of the buttocks). After allowing yourself to heal and seeing just how the skin shrank, you MAY then resort to a Tummy Tuck if there was any left over skin laxity and hang.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Am I a Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

+1

What are your height and weight?

Without the benefit of a personal consultation and relying entirely on your photos, it appears that you would benefit from a surgical procedure.

This could consist of liposuction alone, with an acceptance of a little skin laxity, or a full abdominoplasty, which would remove skin and allow tightening of your muscles.

Your surgeon would take into account your skin tone, the location of your fat (under the skin or in the abdominal cavity) and the state of your abdominal muscles to recommend the best operation for you.

I have done abdominoplasties in women who have not had children, provided they have loose skin and muscles that are not as tight as they could be.

Find an experienced plastic surgeon to review your options with you.

Eric Pugash, MD
    Vancouver Plastic Surgeon