6 Months Post-op Tummy Tuck - Bad Dog Ears and Belly Button Scar. Can This Be Fixed?

I had a tummy tuck done 6 mnths ago. I have bad dog ears that hang down when I sit. when I stand, it pops out alot from the sides. The worst thing about my tummy tuck is my belly button. My belly button scar is horrible and ugly. I think my surgeon left the stitches in for to long. Is it normal for your belly button to be really bumpy 6months after surgery. I mean literally, its really bumpy And red all around the belly button. Can my belly button be fix?how much wud it cost 2go2 a diff surgeon

Dog ears and belly button scarring

+2

Most plastic surgeons recommend waiting at least 6-8 months before considering any scar revisions.  But dog ears and belly button scar can easily be corrected.   In many cases, the corrections can be done under local anesthesia safely.  Please return to your PS for an evaluation.

Revisoin of tummy tuck

+2

If your umbilical scar is stil red, then I would wait before considering a revision of the scar until the redness subsides. This is usually a year or more after surgery. As for the dog ears, you  may want to wait to do it at the same time as your umbilicus.

Belly Button Scar after Tummy Tuck

+1

Your belly button scar may still soften and fade.  These types of scars sometimes take a year to a year and a half to heal and look better. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

"Bad" dog ears and belly button scar after tummy tuck

+1

We typically advise waiting 6-8 months after the initial procedure to consider dog ear and scar revision. If you have "bad" dog ears, my guess is that you really needed an extended tummy tuck and probably not the short scar tummy tuck that you received (again, this is my guess with limited data provided and based on my experience.  "Bad" dog ear revision may require general anesthesia. The belly button scars could be fixed but may require a larger outer circle.

Dogears and bad bellybutton scar after tummytuck

+1
The dogears can take several months to settle out. In cases where they don't completely resolve they can usually be removed as a small office procedure. Your bellybutton scar will take 12-18 months to fully mature. If you are seeing area of scar thickening or bumps, your surgeon can inject the area with a steroid. Silicone sheeting also does a great job at flattening scars and reducing their visibility. The scar can be revised but I would wait at least a year.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Healing After a Tummy Tuck

+1

I agree with the previous Doctor about consulting your current surgeon. Most surgeons charge for a second opinion fee.  You doctor may be able to remedy your issues for you in a way that will give you the aesthetic result you are looking to achieve.  Maybe trying a silicone based gel to the redness of your belly button would help. Only do this if you have no open wounds. 

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Revisions may be simple... or not...

+1

Minor revisions, such as dog ears, are not uncommon after tummy tucks, despite our best efforts. Some revisions can be done in the offce (like dog ears) while others are better addressed in the operating room.

Without photographs and knowing what techniques were used in surgery it'sdifficult to determine the best way to address your belly button. I would recommend starting by talking to your original surgeon. This is usually the best, and least expensive, way to go. If you are unable to get a satisfactory answer, you can always seek a second opinion.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

The dog ears occur because surgeons try not make the scar too long.  This is easily fixed with a revision under local anesthesia.  the umbilicus can also be revised under local anesthesia as well.  I recommend discussing these with your surgeon.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Scars take time

+1

You might want to discuss these problems with your operating surgeon. He will probably revise these issues at the appropriate time with a much lower cost than going to another plastic surgeon. The dogears we deal with on occasion but we try to fix them at the time the tummy tuck is done. Unfortunately without seeing the scars around the belly button it is hard to make any judgement about what might need to be done.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Fixing tummy tuck problems

+1

Dog ears simply need to be excised as there is too much tissue still there.  As for the belly button, it depends on what it looks like.  Time may help or you may need a revision but this is not necessarily as simple as removing a dog ear.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS