Can Tummy Tuck Help Fix Tummy After Hernia Repair?

I had hernia repair and my tummy is big like I'm 9 months pregnant. Can a Tummy Tuck help?

Diastasis repair will probably help you.

+1

Hi!

We have seen a number of women like you who really look pregnant.  The usual cause is a wide separation of the two rectus muscles.  This is called a diastasis recti.

When the muscle separation is repaired during a tummy tuck, you can get a flat stomach.

Tummy tuck after hernia repair

+1

Hi,

A tummy tuck may help, but it depends on the cause of your abdominal wall bulging. If you have a bulge because your hernia has recurred, which is a distinct possibility, you may need a repeat hernia repair. If, on the other hand, your abdominal wall is bulging because of generalized looseness of the abdominal wall, you may benefit from tightening of the abdominal wall, which is part of a tummy tuck. Given your previous hernia repair, this is obviously much more complicated, as you may have mesh in place on the abdominal wall, or may have undergone a type of repair called components separation, in which the layers of the abdominal wall were separated from themselves to allow a tension-free closure of the hernia.

Your best bet is consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and review the operative reports from your hernia surgery. Only then will you know with any certainty whether a tummy tuck is the right thing for you.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Tummy Tuck after hernia repair depends on your abdominal contour and the hernia

+1

If you had a small hernia and the majority of your fat is external to the abdominal muscles and you have enough loose excess skin, you could have a good result and it would be worth it. On the other hand if you had a large complex hernia and your abdomen is large because of a stretched out abdominal wall then it may not be beneficial to you. You need to go to a board certified plastic surgeon and have them perform a thorough evaluation.

Christopher J. Ewart, MD
Augusta Plastic Surgeon