What to Expect from Tummy Tuck?

I'm 26, and live in Las Vegas. I'm getting a Tummy Tuck Dec. 11th 2009 and I have to say I thought about canceling for no other reason other than I'm scared of death and scared because I've never been put under.

I'm healthy and don't smoke or drink, I have one child and had a c-section with him. I'm a singer so really want to do this but am scared of all the complications that may come. Any advice? Should I go through with it?

Tummy Tuck Anxiety

+6

Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) is a great procedure which if done properly by an experienced Board Certified Plastic surgeon will greatly improve your appearance. Among its uncommon risks may be bleeding, infection, ugly scar, loss of the belly button. But it WILL flatten your tummy, narrow your waist, lift a sagging pubic mound and, if a Lockwood (High Lateral tension) Abdominoplasty is done, it will lift and smooth you anterior and side thighs from cellulite dimpling.

I would NOT have a tummy tuck done if you expect to have more children. This will re-distend your tummy and ruin the surgical result.

As far as going through with it or not - listen to the voice inside. Are you doing for yourself or for someone else? Do you trust your surgeon? If you are doing it to please someone else or do not have full trust in your surgeon - do not have the surgery. Otherwise, get all your questions answered and do what your heart tells you to do.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Scared before a tummy tuck

+4

Assuming you have done your research and selected a prominent board certified plastic surgeon, having "butterflies" is entirely normal.

The risks of surgery are very, very low for healthy young women.

It is never a bad idea to meet with your doctor and talk to his nurses once more before the surgery to ally your fears. that will give you a chance of going over the preoperative preparations, the postoperative course, limitations, etc. and maybe you will then feel more secure about your surgery.

Youth, health, and prior surgery history suggest you are at low risk

+3

Given you age, presumed health, fit appearance, and prior history of surgery without complications, it is most likely that your surgery will procede in an smooth an uneventful fashion with excellent results.

However, all procedures entail risk and it is normal for you to be experiencing some degree of anxiety. We take risks everyday and only you can judge the value of an improved appearance. Of course this is not medically necessary and this may make you question your decision. However, we choose make elective decisions everyday that entail risk such as hopping on a plane for a vacation or getting in your car to go to the movies.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/tummy.html

Tummy tuck anxiety

+3

Your surgery is in a week so you have time to re-visit your doctor and discuss specifically what your fears so that they can put you at ease.  That is certainly something they would want to do for you.  It is normal to have fears but if you chose the right doctor and are healthy, it wil be great. 

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsugery.com

What to do if you're anxious about your surgery

+3

Hi Keely - It's very normal to feel anxious and even scared before your operation. However, to put your fears to rest call your surgeon and tell him/her how you feel. If you need to be seen again in the office to go over things, suggest this. It's important that your surgery is performed in an accredited facility. Otherwise, thousands of patients are put under anesthesia every single day and do great!

Web reference: http://www.DrSchreiberPlasticSurgery.com

Only you can decide if you should have tummy tuck

+3

No one can decide if you "should" have a tummy tuck except you. It is a safe procedure in the hands of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon and a healthy patient. That being said it still is a surgical procedure that has risks, complications benefits, alternatives and consequences. It is also completely normal to have doubts and anxieties before any type of surgery.

Having had a C-section you can expect that the tummy tuck recovery and process will be similar. Instead of a new baby you get a new belly.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

What to expect from Tummy Tuck.

+1

Thank you for your question. It is very normal to be concerned about potential complications after in the elective plastic surgical procedure including Tummy Tuck.

The skill and experience of your plastic surgeon is the most important factor in avoiding complications after Tummy Tuck surgery. I am assuming that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/boston-tummy-tuck/boston-tummy-tuck-how-to-decide-if-you-need-an-abdominoplasty/