Tummy Tuck with an Existing Lap Band?

I am 5'2 and go up and down between 185-190 lbs. I had a lap band put on 3 yrs ago. I have gained about half my weight back. Do i have to loose weight? Plus i would like to know if the lap band will present the surgeon with some problems? and am i a good candidate to have a tummy tuck? I am full figured body type, except for the tummy and my arms which i would like to have done as well. Please help me as i am just starting my process of picking a doctor. thank you.

Lap band and tummy tuck

the lap band is not an issue with a tummy tuck, the issue is weight loss or gain. if you think your weight has been stable for a while and you are not planning on losing any again, you might be a candidate for a tummy tuck. if you are trying to lose the weight you gained back, I would wait till you achieve that and see if you can maintain it.

A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is always a good idea and you will be able to discuss all the possible options and the best timing for the surgery.

Abdominoplasty after lap band surgery

The lap band will not pose a problem for the abdominoplasty. However, if you are trying to lose weight, I recommend that you reach a weight at which you are comfortable prior to undergoing surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck works even if you are overweight.

1)  You will still be overweight, but you will have a flat stomach.

2)  Lap band is not a problem.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)