Exercise After Tummy Tuck

How long after tummy tuck before I can start strenuous exercise and weight lifting?

Usually all restrictions are off 8 weeks after tummy tuck

+2

Every surgeon has a different approach to recovery restrictions.

As long as the recovery is proceeding smoothly, I allow my patients to do non-impact cardio (elliptical machine, bike [not spin!]) at 3 weeks, and then begin strenuous activity (light weight lifting, jogging) at 6 weeks. All restrictions are off at 8 weeks.

Talk to your surgeon to see the regime they recommend (and do follow it! We all do different things on the inside, and only your surgeon knows what is best for you!)

Exercise after tummy tuck

+1

I would say, safely 6-8 weeks depending on exercises, your surgery, and your exercise tolerance preop. Always start with under 10 lbs and work up slowly. You should be walking regardless at 1 week!

Thomas T. Jeneby, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty and exercise

+1

Every doctor is a bit different. But I recommend to my patients to avoid aerobic type activities for 3-4 weeks and heavy lifting or sit-ups for 6-8 weeks.

Patients can generally resume exercise 8 weeks after tummy tuck

+1

This is really a question that you need to ask your surgeon. Was muscle tightened? How much was removed? Did you have a hernia? How did your recovery go?

In general at 8 weeks you should be doing everything, but you need to speak to your doctor for specifics.

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon