Tummy Tuck or Will It Get Better by Exercise or Mini Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Hi, I am 29 years old female and I am absolutely devasteted when I look at my belly,how it looks like after pregnancy. I have lost 50 pounds after being pregannt and planning to loose another 50. My skin looks horrible and I know it does get better but do you think it could get better significantly? I am just scared of big scar after tummy tuck and still want abother child in few years time but dont want to put up with this for that amount of time. What do you think? Thanks

Exercise versus tummy tuck. / Ejercicio x abdominoplastia

+3

Whether or not your a candidate for a tummy tuck depends on you . You have done a great job at losing weight since the baby!  But if you really plan and will lose another 50 lbs I would wait until you are close to YOUR ideal weight.  If you want another kid definitely in the near future I would wait.  If your just thinking about another child then you could have the procedure done when you have lost the weight.

Good luck and thanks for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Si usted es o no una candidata para hacerse una abdominoplastia depende mas bien de usted. Usted ha hecho un excelente trabajo bajando de peso despues del embarazo! Pero si usted realmente planea y pretende perder 50 libras mas yo esperaria hasta que usted estubiera en su peso ideal. Si usted quiere tener otro bebe en un futuro proximo, entonces yo esperaria. Si no esta segura acerca de otro bebe entonces puede hacerse la cirugia despues de perder el peso.

Suerte y gracias por la pregunta.

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Full Tummy Tuck in face of another pregnancy in near future is not advisable

+2

Your questions and concerns are valid and understandable.  It is great that you have lost 50 pounds and are still on a wellness regimen to permit you to lose more.  In face of your decision about future childbearing, you may consider waiting to have a full abdominoplasty and liposuction of the hips/flanks/pubis after your final pregnancy.  I would not advise a full abdominoplasty (rectus muscle plication, abdominal skin/fat  pannus/apron resection) if you are considering another pregnancy.  Another more conservative option would be liposuction of the abdomen, hips, pubic area and even flanks with a lower abdominoplasty ( a "mini" tummy tuck) which involves a conservative skin resection of the lower pannus/apron leaving a lower suprapubic scar.   This can safely be done with liposuction of the full abdomen, hips, flanks and pubic areas.  If you have had a previous C-section, this would most likely be very acceptable to you.  Additionally, if you need another C-section, this scar could be used for the next delivery.  If you do not want the pubic scar now or ever, I would consider Smartlipo with skin tightening of the lower pannus.  You must find a plastic surgeon who performs Smartlipo with true skin tightening with laser-assisted liposuction.  Smartlipo with skin tightening techniques will take more time as the entire pannus area would require special laser settings to treat the lax skin to effect some shrinkage over time, obviating the need for skin resection at present, since you are planning a future pregnancy. You may later have a lower abdominoplasty (so called "mini" tummy tuck with only apron resection) after your final pregnancy.  Smartlipo will not give you a smooth abdomen like a full abdominoplasty of even a lower "mini" abdominoplasty, but in my practice, patients that are fully informed of what to expect in terms of results and the limitations of effecting skin shrinkage with laser liposuction techniques, if there is no skin resection (and no scar as is associated with abdominoplasty techniques),  are very happy.  Patient selection and a disclosure of what each surgical option can realistically produce in terms of the final result is very important and key to success for both patient and plastic surgeon.  I hope this helps you make a sound decision or makes you feel better informed if you wait to have surgery after your final pregnancy.  Kudos on your weight loss and continue along this wellness course.  Christine Petti, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Christine A. Petti, MD

Lose the weight you want to lose, then full tummy tuck after kids.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Lose the weight you want to lose, then full tummy tuck.

If you are considering more children but really want to get a tummy tuck now, then get a tummy tuck without muscle tightening. Otherwise, wait until you are done having children for the full tummy tuck.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

#TummyTuck or Will It Get Better by Exercise or #MiniTummyTuck? (photo) ANS:

+1

You would benefit from a TT (exercise wont do much) and now the big question is when....You have more weight to lose and you are thinking of having kids so it really is up to you...I would wait until you have lost most of the weight that you want and then really think about the timing of kids vs tummy tuck, not that you cant have kids after a TT but...prob better to wait...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Exercise versus tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. The improvement that you seek will not be able to be accomplished from exercise alone as your photographs suggest loose skin and probable need to tighten the muscles. However, your description indicates a plan to lose additional weight and to have another child. Therefore, it does not sound like you are at a lifestage that surgery makes sense. I would recommend that you complete your childbearing, and achieve your healthy long term stable weight. At that time, consult in person with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to review your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Exercise versus tummy tuck

+1

Based on you photographs, as best as I can tell from them, exercise will not, likely result ultimately in a flat stomach.  Usually after pregnancies, the lower abdominal muscles stretch out and they may not fully recover, like a rubber band being over stretched out.  Likely, the only way to get a flat stomach and remove the loose skin (which exercise will never remove) is to do an abdominoplasty to tighten the muscles and remove the excess skin and subcutaneous (fatty) tissue.  Alternatively, you may be a candidate for liposuction in the interim while you are completing your family.  This would get rid of the bulk, but would not get rid of the laxity.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Wait it out...

+1

Two things jump out at me:

1.  You want to lose a significant amount of weight

2.  You want another child

I would wait until both of those things happen before proceeding.  Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of money and go through surgery already knowing that the results won't be nearly as good as they could be and will get worse (more saggy skin, muscle separation that accompanies both).

Hope that helps.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS