Tummy Tuck for Excess Skin in Stomach Area?

Hello, I'm 150 lbs. and 5'1" tall. Would I be a good canidate for a tummy tuck? I have a lot of excess skin in my stomach area after I had my daughter.

Examination would tell you for sure

+1

It is not possible to determine candidacy for tummy tuck with just some measurements. The surgeon has to examine you for laxity of the skin and/or abdominal muscles, and the amount of fat. If you have the right anatomy, then the surgeon has to ensure you are an appropriate medical candidate, and finally other things such as smoking history and exercise regimens can help determine if you are an ideal candidate. Good luck.

Dr. Cuber

Edison Plastic Surgeon

Is a tummy tuck right for someone 5'1" and 150 lbs.

+1

This is a tough question to answer without examining you and getting a good history. By your height and weight, your BMI is 28, which is in the overweight category. When I see patients in my Bay Area practice, I want to know about their diet and exercise habits, how many children they have had, how many more they plan on having, and lastly any significant medical problems they may have. This information, followed by a good physical examination, would give me all the information necessary to let you know if you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Seek out a well-qualified plastic surgeon and have a consultation. I'm sure you can find someone nearby. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

It is difficult to determine if a patient is a candidate for a tummy tuck based solely on their height and weight. The quality of the skin, the laxity of the abdominal muscles and the amount of excess fat, are all critical in determining the best procedure. You should also give thought to whether or not you will plan to have any more children, as the best time for a tummy tuck is when you are done having children. This will avoid any further stretching of the skin and compromise of your surgical result.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy Tucks

+1

If you are in good health, done having your babies, are motivated to do things in addition to surgery to enhance your overall health (eating right, exercising, not smoking, etc) then you are an excellent candidate. Visit a board certified plastic surgeon who should first listen to your reasons for being unhappy with your body, listen to your goals and expectations, take a thorough medical and social history, examine you and only then recommend what would be best for you to achieve your goals. Always ask about potential risks and complications, how often they occur, what your surgeon does to try to prevent these, and what he/she will do if a complication arises.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Good candidates for a tummy tuck

+1

In general good candidates for a tummy tuck are done having children, have extra or loose skin above and below their belly button, are healthy, happy, and okay with the idea of an incision in their panty line region. In some cases liposuction, mini abdominoplasty or an extended tummy tuck or bodylift might be a consideration as well. This can better be determined at your consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. A good place to start is by asking your priomary care physcian if they feel you are healthy enough to have an outpatient procedure.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Appropiate time for tummy tuck

+1

You do not give enough information for an educated and responsible answer. I would first encourage you to become as fit as you possibly can and to maintain that level of fit as regards your diet, exercise routine, activity level, and habits. Everyone's weight will be different but the level of fitness will optimize your physique. Once you achieve that level of fitness, then you should vist a plastic surgeon who should customize your surgery depending on what your anatomy is, what you want to achieve, and the risk factors. Weight is an important but relative factor.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD