Excess Skin After Tummy Tuck

I am 24 years old with 3 kids. Two months ago, I had a full Tummy Tuck, Liposuction, Breast Augmentation, and Brazilian Butt Lift. However, I still have extra tummy skin left. Is that normal? Is it too soon to see the final results, or will I need to tell my doctor that I am not happy at all with the result?

You need to judge the result standing

+3

You might have some extra skin but we can't tell because you are sitting.  All people have excess skin sitting and you can only judge whether more skin could have been removed by seeing what you look like standing.  If there isn't loose skin standing, then this is as good as it gets.

Excess Skin After a Tummy Tuck

+3

A tummy tuck is performed to remove excess skin, tighten the abdominal muscle wall and improve the contour of your truncal area. Although it appears that you may have some residual loose skin, it is possible that this may be swelling of the lower abdominal tissue which is usually the last place for the swelling to subside (because it is the lowest point of the treated area and swelling follows gravity downward).

It is certainly possible that there remains some loose skin that would benefit from removal. In the operating room, the amount of skin to be removed is determined to provide the optimal contour of your abdominal region. Although at the time it appears 'perfect', afterwards, your skin may stretch further (which can be hard to predict) leading to a small amount of loose skin remaining over the incision line. This can easily be addressed and should be discussed with you surgeon.

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

An abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, is a powerful procedure that removes excess skin and tightens the underlying abdominal muscles. Swelling common after the procedure and can last for months. It is common right afterwards for the skin to be extra tight, because of swelling. As the initial swelling goes down over the first few months, the skin may appear to "loosen." This is why you must wait several months (at least 6) to judge the final result.

Incidentally, your photo shows the loose skin with you in a sitting position. This is common, even in the skinniest individual. The better way to judge is if you have hanging skin with you in a standing position.

Matthew Schulman, MD