Tummy Tuck and Endometriosis Surgery at the Same Time?

I had my firs endometriosis removed about 8 years ago.I have it again and it needs to be remove. I also want to do tummy tuck,upper arm lift,breast lift and lipo by the summer of 2010. My question is, can plastic surgeon remove my endometriosis at the same time of tummy tuck or not?

Tummy tuck with hysterectomy

+1

Hi there-

A Tummy Tuck could certainly be combined with a hysterectomy- which should always be performed by a qualified gynecologist.

I would not recommend more surgery than this, as the recovery and risks would become a concern.

Combo Surgeries - Tummy Tuck & Gyn Surg

+1

When deciding whether to go ahead with any surgery one weighs risks vs reward. Unlike building a table," whoops the saw went through the piece - I'll just reach over for a new piece", in surgery a responsible surgeon doesn't take unnecesaary risks with their patients. A lot can go wrong or at least bumpy with endometrial ablation surgery that I wouldn't suggest doing it and a tummy tuck at the same time. It can lead to a rocky recovery. That said, thereis a huge range of endometriosis from a couple of spots to really bad disease all over the place. I would probably be comfortable going ahead if the Plastic Surgeon and Gyn docs knew and worked with each other and the disease was very mild.

Then there is the cost issue. If cost is no concern, just the above comments are important. if cost is a concern, most likely endometrial ablative surgery can not be done anywhere except a larger facility. This always generates much higher costs for the tummy tuck part of the surgery.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD, FACS

Plastic surgeons do not treat Endometriosis

+1

Endometriosis is a gynecologic condition which is treated by Gynecologists not Plastic surgeons. The treatments would depend on the severity of the condition, your age and family plans. Plastic surgeons do not treat this condition.

Endometriosis MAY be treated as an office procedure with endometrial ablation. You may want to see if it is applicable in your situation before having a hysterectomy. A Tummy Tuck could be done at the same time as a hysterectomy.Personally, I think doing the long list of procedures you wanted at the same time is way too much surgery with a higher risk of serious complications. I would divide them into shorter, easier to recover from procedure groups.

Tummy Tuck & Gynecologic Surgery

+1

Plastic Surgeons are not trained to operate on endometriosis. It is possible to have a tummy tuck at the time of your surgery but there is a higher complication rate when TTs are performed at the time intraabdominal surgery. Specifically in your situation where there is likely to be a good bit of pelvic scarring present, I think it would be prudent to have your procedures performed separately.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck and endometriosis surgery at the same time

+1

Great question for a very bad idea. I DO NOT recommend this combination. Too many risks involved in this combination of surgeries.

Be careful Dr. B